My convicts, laid eggs + pic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3Corsameal

Aquarium Advice Regular
hi guys,

not been on here very much, but some of u may remember i got rid of fish and just kept convicts.

they were only fry when i got em b4 christmas and here they are now

dsc00136.jpg

cool pic eh?

anyway they laid hundreds of eggs lastnight and i all excited....lol

Very cool. I had a breeding pair of convicts when I had my fw tank running. They make gr8 parents and are very interersting to watch how they move the fry around the tank in their mouths. Just prepare yourself for all the pits they are going to dig in the gravel. My tank ended up looking like a crater field.

That's cool stuff. Are convicts mouth brooders? I'm getting some cichlid fry from work. They're mouth brooders. I'm looking forward to breeding them. 8)

i have two pairs like that, but the other pair hide away in a hollow log, so don't see much of em.

Most of the eggs have disappeared????? they were on the side wall of a cave, might they of buried them?

the gravel is really crated already, they moved so much gravel, must be 8 inches deep in one corner now

If I remember correctly, they will remove (eat) any of the eggs that have died or were not fertilized. If this is the first time they are laying it may not be very successful, but if none of the eggs hatch or the fry are eaten they will lay eggs again very soon.

They may have eaten them. Most tank-bred fish aren't as good of parents as their wild relatives. It may take them a few tries untill they're able to raise them into fry.

Enjoy your thousands of Convicts.

Seriously, My convicts breed so fast I have to use the fry as feaders. :roll:

my friend has an Oscar fish, so he will be having most of the fry, cruel i know, but they ain't exactly becoming extinct..

have got new tank setup now, just letting it cycle with no fish, and will prob get rid of some convicts and just keep a couple of pairs.

Back
Top Bottom