My little divas: I have discus!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
A local breeder showed up at our monthly club meeting with 3 bags of young discus today and I got 2 bags of them for a price I could not refuse. I ended up with 6 to grow out. I haven't kept discus in a while, and I've never started with fish this small (about 1.5"). They are Stendker/Santarem cross and will be a brick red color as adults.

HQloKQ0.jpg

QxGyNJk.jpg

MMPM6rC.jpg

I'll be updating this thread with pics as they grow.

Cool! So now you're a full on elitist aquarist huh;) can't wait to see how they grow out!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
Cool! So now you're a full on elitist aquarist huh;) can't wait to see how they grow out!!

LOL. No elitism. This isn't my first go with discus (although it is my first time starting with fish this size), and I talked to the breeder for a bit before buying them so I at least have a plan in place for their care.

Awesome! This may be my next venture because I don't spend enough on the hobby now.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

LOL. No elitism. This isn't my first go with discus (although it is my first time starting with fish this size), and I talked to the breeder for a bit before buying them so I at least have a plan in place for their care.

I was just joshing.. You got this! Maybe one day ill.hace some of my own?? My gf says if we get a nice house with a room in the basement I can have more tanks!! I drool on the discus tanks every time I hit the lfs..

Awesome! This may be my next venture because I don't spend enough on the hobby now.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Well, I got these for much less than they are worth, so I couldn't pass them up. Adult sized discus are expensive for sure!

I was just joshing.. You got this! Maybe one day ill.hace some of my own?? My gf says if we get a nice house with a room in the basement I can have more tanks!! I drool on the discus tanks every time I hit the lfs..

LOL, I know. :D

You should see the breeder's fishroom. I've never seen discus in a LFS that could even begin to compare. He's got a bunch of different breeding pairs and also keeps a bunch of apistos and rams.

I got them into the tank a while ago.

yhrCRP1.jpg

vNXQeR3.jpg

v9HAzJ6.jpg

D4kv8Fp.jpg

Well, I got these for much less than they are worth, so I couldn't pass them up. Adult sized discus are expensive for sure!

LOL, I know. :D

You should see the breeder's fishroom. I've never seen discus in a LFS that could even begin to compare. He's got a bunch of different breeding pairs and also keeps a bunch of apistos and rams.

I got them into the tank a while ago.

yhrCRP1.jpg

vNXQeR3.jpg

v9HAzJ6.jpg

D4kv8Fp.jpg

Luckily my phone is waterproof... my lfs gets the famous Hans discus, they're amazing, $125 for a 4" fish amazing.. If I ever make out your way I'd probably pay to walk through his room! I'm obsessed with apistos at this point..

Apistos are really popular in this club because our tap water suits them so well. They're readily available here so if you're looking for something, I may be able to find it.

Apistos are really popular in this club because our tap water suits them so well. They're readily available here so if you're looking for something, I may be able to find it.

One of the lucky ones. Mine is actually pretty ok for some.. unfortunately I cannot expand upon my collection just yet.. when the time comes ill hit you up!

Congrats on your new babies !!! Following along here. I too will grace the hallways of Hans' building one day.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Following! Total score! Discus are my dream fish but I'm too rookie/broke to attempt right now.

Following!!! I love discus but I don't have the eight hundred dollars to stock a tank with adults in my area nor the experience to raise babies.

Emerald76

Update: all still alive and well. They're eating 3x a day and getting a 90% daily water change. I'll get more pics in a few when I go to do their water change. :)

Putting in work!!

My boyfriend reeeeeaaaaaaaly wants discus but there isnt enough water in California for all their water changes.

Sent from my iPhone

They definitely don't mind their water changes. I was filling up the tank as I took these.
FpwHy6n.jpg

0KU1BCc.jpg

ugtfpiz.jpg

Update: All still alive and well. I feed them 3-4 times a day and change like 95% of the water every evening. Here's a first for me, I haven't missed any of their daily water changes yet. LOL. The bonus to doing the evening pwc is that while I'm already out there, I also do a 95% pwc on my bucket fry (C. afra Cobue). Anyway, here's a pic from a couple days ago.

8efubho.jpg

Back
Top Bottom