new johannis, main tank or grow out?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicosia31

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm changing my stock in my 56G. I've bought 3 johanni to make the male I already have more comfortable. I know they do best in groups. My current stock is as follows: 6 kenyi, 1 yellow tail acei, 1 yellow lab, 1 albino zebra, 1 red zebra, 1 rusty, 1 johanni. I know most will say these fish will grow too large for this aquarium (listed in my profile) but I have a 75 available when the time comes.

I plan on rehoming the zebras and one other to make room for the 3 new johanni. The problem is the new fish are considerably smaller than the kenyi I have. The male kenyi I have are almost a full inch longer than the new johanni.

My question is: would you all reccomend putting the new johanni in my 29 gal until they grow bigger? They're only 1" and I'm scared they're going to get harassed to death.

* Also, would 3 cichlids be too few to keep their aggression down in the 29"? I'm worried one will get singled out and killed.

Any ideas anyone? I'm on my way home with them. I'm about to float them in one tank or the other. Any help would be appreciated very much.

If they are 1" and there enough hiding places they should be ok in the main. They won't get as big as the Kenyi anyway. With that said, if you have a 75 I would recommend setting that up now and moving the fish to that.

Either way, when you add the new fish move the rocks around to reestablish territories and keep the lights off for a while.

Back
Top Bottom