O2 levels & microbubbles in an overstocked mbuna tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got 16 mbunas in my 44 pentagon. Water parameters are good. I do 15-20 gallon water changes 1-3 times per week. Nitrate levels are between 20 and 60ppm. My fish are healthy and breed. 99% of the fry become snacks.

For the last 6 months I've run a RIO+ powerhead with the venturi attachment to add aeration to the tank. since the density of the water is much less than the saltwater that was previously in this tank before I went with mbunas, I modified the level of air allowed in through the venturi hose and create tons of microscopic bubbles throughout the water.

I'm concerned about the o2 levels since the tank has a small footprint to water volume ratio and I have a large o2 draw based on the numbers of fish. I have not seen any negative effects on the fish of using the venturi pump caused by all the microbubbles. However, the tank looks much better (and is much quieter) if the ventui hose is closed and the powerhead just circulates water.

I also wonder if the microbubbles can be detrimental to the fish. I always see bubbles on the fins/scales/snout of the fish when the venturi is on. Can this "pure air" directly on the fishes' bodies/gills cause any problems?

I turned the venturi off last night and decreased the water temp from 80F to 78F. Filtration is a marineland C360, which creates a good amount of surface agitation. I have two small powerheads to help circulate water all the way through the tank.

Do you think the o2 concentration in my tank is sufficient for the number of fish I have? Is there a way to measure it? No fish appeared to be stressed this morning due to a decrease in available o2, all were sleeping peacefully in their respective rocks.

I've heard in my experience that if fish breath these little bubbles it can cause problems in the gills most oxygen exchange occurs from water movement at the surface from what I've found in my own research. However if you aren't noticing problems with the fish it may not be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom