Ordering online??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmarine

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, im slowly stocking a 125 and have been tempted to try ordering fish online. Is it worth spending all the shipping costs? What is a good site to buy from? I've been thinking about Quinn's Fins or Live Fish Direct.

What type of fish? Like saltwater or fresh?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

tell you the truth i dont think so

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you're getting only fresh I prefer to not order online, but if it's salt then I prefer online cause there is a return policy because if at the store there isn't return policy.

Using My iPad and I Love Fishes! <~8~>

Oh wait I'm dumb LOL of course it's fresh, it's in the cichlid forum xD

Using My iPad and I Love Fishes! <~8~>

Haha yeah, i kinda thought that would explain it. Oh well, no big deal!

my lfs orders any freshwater or saltwater fish for me so im set ??

Try davesrarefish and cichlid express it was worth it, all fish arrived alive and healthy. Also you can find no so common fish online that you won't see at your lfs

Sent from my HTCONE using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It depends where you live and what you have for stores and breeders around you.

Posting here in the classifieds also is a pretty good idea. And like other people mentioned all of our local fish stores can pretty much order anything we want.

Where do you live? There might be some of is that live near that can suggest people/places to go to

Thanks for the responses! I've been looking around for local breeders but havent found any that have what i want as of right now. I live in the Grand Rapids area in Michigan. And i work at my LFS so i easily have access to the fish there and stuff, but they don't get an adult cichlid order in often. I'll definitely keep asking around for local breeders though! How were your guys' experiences with ordering online? Just the cost of shipping and having fish shipped makes me nervous.

I've been lucky and my stores have gotten everything we need. But I have been reluctant to order online because of shipping

I'm in Albany NY

It also depends on how many you order at once. If you can combine an order with others near you it's more cost effective.
Probably not worth it for run of the mill fish, but does afford a larger choice and better quality.

I order online 95% of the time. I've ordered from (Butch) SoutheastCichlids.com, Aquabid.com, (Bob) RockyMountainCichlids.com, (Anthony) WetSpotTropical.com. Even tracked down some folks on forums and had fish shipped.

I've talked to Dave, who was nice, but didn't order at davesrarefish.com, also talked to floridatropicalfishdirect.com (Jennifer and I want to say Mike?) and frontosafactory.com (Anthony). SICichlids.com (Anthony) All seemed like great folks. Seen others who had good experiences with those.

When I need uncommon fish I order them online. Just make sure you get them from a reputable seller and have them shipped appropriately for the time of year.

That being said, it gets expensive fast so I would try to avoid it for more common species like you are looking for.

Are there any clubs in your area? This is usually a good way to get in touch with local breeders.

Back
Top Bottom