oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonnyln

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So you hear do much stuff about oscars andvtank mates. Can you put any fish with an oscar even when its fully grownn

Yes..you can put in fish that are similar sizes with the oscar. Oscars can be aggressive though, so you have to be careful what you add. Since Oscars get big, you would also have to think of what the other tankmates sizes will be.

Right now i have convicts. Jack dempseys n a parrot

Right now i have convicts. Jack dempseys n a parrot

Those should be okay with an oscar for awhile (Idk the sizes of them)..eventually the oscar could eat the convicts since they will be much smaller..but prolly not.

Also..for the fish you all listed you would need over a 55 gallon aquarium too. Probably more around 75 gallon.

Idk what you have..but yup.

In my experience oscars are not that agressive. Other fish their size would always pick on them. Oscars are agressive eaters, and can and will eat what fits in their mouths.

So you hear do much stuff about oscars andvtank mates. Can you put any fish with an oscar even when its fully grownn

I think the best answer one could give you would be "Depends on the size tank you have them in." That determines what and if you can put another fish type with your grown Oscar. Look at public aquarium displays and you will see many different types of fish with grown Oscars. Take notice of the size tank they are using ;)

Those fish will work fine together, you could probably add 1 more in there as you have a nice big tank.

Oscars are not that aggressive from what people say. The Jack Dempsey is the most aggressive of the four you have.

Sounds fine to me how many jack dempseys and convicts? Just 1 each or is it a pair.

I had 2 oscars in my African cichlids tank it was a 200 gallon. The cichlids ended up destroying them randomly after 2 years. But a good tank mate might be a silver Arowanna.

I have a jack Dempsey and a Oscar and I can't have them in the same tank because the Oscar beats on him I had those 2 and a tiger Oscar in the same tank and the red Oscar killed my tiger Oscar that was the same size . So as for Oscar fish not being aggressive I beg to differ. My Oscar is alone with a pleco in a 75 because he will kill anything else in his tank. He bites me when I do water changes .

I have a jack Dempsey and a Oscar and I can't have them in the same tank because the Oscar beats on him I had those 2 and a tiger Oscar in the same tank and the red Oscar killed my tiger Oscar that was the same size . So as for Oscar fish not being aggressive I beg to differ. My Oscar is alone with a pleco in a 75 because he will kill anything else in his tank. He bites me when I do water changes .
Sounds like you have a mean Oscar then.

From what I've researched, Oscars are actually calm, just very hungry fish. I've seen a lot of people say JD's in the same tank as an Oscar can be bad news because the JD is so aggressive... I'm still considering the combination for my set up.

All i can say is... Depends on the fish. I got a red devil from the lfs and they said it was a trade in because the owner didnt want it cuz it killed all his fish. I put it in with my oscar and right away the oscar lip locked it and hit its head against the glass. The devil is in its own tank now.

I think it does depend on the Oscar because mine is extremely docile and lives fine with a convict and Featherfin catfish it doesn't show any aggression. Also +1 on silver dollars

Back
Top Bottom