OSCARS OSCARS OSCARS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kris_toledo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey everyone, I finally got my oscars. I'm just wondering exactly how much to feed them. Right now I have flake food and some bloodworms. The fish are about an inch and a half. Thanks for all the help!! :lol:

feed them what they will eat in a couple of minutes twice a day--everyone prolly has a different opinion, but that has worked well for mine--you may also find that soon you will have less mess if you start them on small pellets--flakes seem to work well when they are very small , but when you see that they begin making increasing messes with the flakes, try the pellets...

I feed my cichlids flakes and try to feed them a little bit at a time . Just enough that they can eat them all before it hits the bottom of the tank. I find there is less mess this way . About 3 or 4 small feeding and twice a day and blood worms on tues and thurs.
thats how I've been doing it . At first I was over feeding. WOW was I messin it up.Thought they needed a lot of food. Messed up the tank just was not good .
I think that helped kill my firemouth . Mine really are not keen on pellets yet . The green terror is the one who really eats.Thats why I call Him Gulp :lol:

small pellets, floating is the best. oscars are pigs. they will eat even when full. i started with live brine when 1in, and went to pellets. you can control the over feeding with the pellets. put 3 in and wait till all gone. pellets expand when they get wet. i had mine for 10yrs it got 10in. 1in per yr,in a 55gal. he would eat 8-10 lg goldfish in 1 feeding. but as for live goldfish beware of infected feeder goldfish. one cannot tell till it is to late. my died from a bad batch of goldfish, and the lfs told me that is the chance you take when you feed live foods. when he gets bigger go with med pellets, then lg ones.

Hey Jolly - Do you have a terror in the tank with oscars? I'm thinking of a second tank, either a 75 or 125 gallon, and want oscars and terrors. I was thinking a pair of each, but don't know about compatibility... any info you have I'd appreciate!

Thailboxer , I have no oscars . When I was younger I had two oscars .
Oscars is what I was going to do until I find my terror . I know you need a big tank for
two oscars . As for putting in two terrors I think it would depend on how young they where when you started and the fish's personalty . The one LFS I deal with said terrors are pussycats . Well I'm here to tell you not mine . He's a bad fish when it comes to my jack .The jack is the smallest fish and the terror knows it . So my anwser is depends.
on tank size and how they all will get a long .
55 gal FW
1 green terror
1 wild red jewel cichlid
1 jack demsey
1 pleko
30 gal FW commuity
10 gal feeder guppies

Thanks for the response - I'll keep researching the compatility of terrors and oscars.

The lady at one of my LFS's has terrors and she said quite the opposite! She said that a mating pair of terrors makes it easy to see where they got their name from! They're very aggressive and love to knock things over.

Back
Top Bottom