Oscars? Please share your experience!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy
Quick question.
Hard to find the answer in the web.

Can I keep 2 Oscars in the same tank? (2 males? Or 2 females or a pair)

Tank is 100 gallons

Thanks!

It totally depends on the personality if your Oscar. You just have to make sure their tempermants are compatible. I acquired mine as a rescue because he's incredibly peaceful and timid and he was living with another Oscar that was beating the check out of him and not letting him eat:(

It'd be great if oscars would stay at 5-6 inches but this things grow. Had a few oscars in the past, I found them easy to keep, fun to own, they almost interact with you. They outgrew just about any tank I put them in, but then again I never had a 100g tank, 75g being the biggest I could give them. Having an oscar in a tank is all about the oscar and nothing else, any other fish will most likely become food and another oscar in a 100g will be tough, toss of the dice. They are messy eaters so frequent water changes a must.
If you like large fish it could be for you.

Andy
Quick question.
Hard to find the answer in the web.

Can I keep 2 Oscars in the same tank? (2 males? Or 2 females or a pair)

Tank is 100 gallons

Thanks!

The quick answer is YES you can keep 2 Oscars in one tank of 100 gals........ if that 100 gals is spread out in a long tank not a tall tank. Oscars need space as much if not more than water volume.

As previously posted, you need water volume because Oscars are messy, messy fish. Everything from the tank to the filters needs to be oversized when dealing with Oscars and especially with larger ones. The amount of space determines how well they will get along with each other. Cramp them and they will fight. Give them places to get away from each other, things will be much more calmer.
As for genders, if your goal is not to breed them, I suggest you try to stay with a single gender. Breeding Oscars can get quite physical with both their mates and tankmates. Most of my pairs were not what iIwould call "pretty" once they started spawning. Missing lips, frayed fins, dents and dings were the norm and is the norm for this fish. If you are trying to keep them "beautiful" I strongly suggest not trying to breed them.

Hope this helps (y)

Back
Top Bottom