Plants in a Cichlids, live or plastic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

balasharkfreak

Aquarium Advice Regular
I keep hearing about Cichlids eating up live plants and have been suggested to go with plastic though I love live plants. Which do you suggest?

Also, if I use live plants, would using solely Seachem Flourite as a substrate be okay? Eco-Complete in my 25g works well.

TIA,
Dan

Not all cichlids will eat plants (although many do): it really depends on what types you're interested in.

Cichlid-proof plants include: java ferns and moss, val, and some of the anubias.

Hey menagerie,

I was looking for some small cichlids that grow no larger than 4" and was suggested to look at rams, dwarves, kribnesis, apistos, keyholes....(someone from another site said rams wouldnt do)....

Ideally Id like to get the more popular ones but I know green terror, jack dempsey, etc are all extremely aggresive.. The guy at Petsmart (who also tells me to go elsewhere when needed) suggested just having a species only tank, like firemouths, but Id rather have a variety in my tank.

In the fish list above, plant eaters?

TIA,
Dan

Green terrors, Jack Dempseys, firemouths and other medium sized CA/SA species will be too large for your 30 gallon tank. In addition, these aren't great species to have with planted tanks (live or plastic) because they enjoy digging and rearranging the substrate to suit their own personal tastes.

Rams are dwarf cichlids- which are members of Apistogramma- which contain lots of ideal fish for a 30 gallon planted tank. They don't eat plants or do much digging. There's nothing wrong with rams, provided you find a healthy source (which can sometimes be tricky) and stay on top of your water changes to keep the quality excellent. Kribs would also be another choice for your tank, although you WON'T want to try keep both. Keyholes are great cichlids but probably will make a mess out of your plants.

Don't go plastic, go silk. There are some outstanding silk plants on the market these days that look completely realistic, especially once they are in the water.

Thanks for your responses guys,

If I were to move my other FW fish to the 30g and 25g and free up the 55g, would this allow me to get any bigger cichlids than the 4" max I mentioned above?

Thanks,
Dan

You could probably keep a pair of JD in a 55. A single larger female cichlid would most likely work as well as these typically don't grow as large as the males. Stay away from Oscars they will outgrow the tank.

Some people say you need at least a 75 for the larger ones, but I think its allright.

Back
Top Bottom