pool filter sand safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryan

Aquarium Advice Freak
can i use pool filter sand in a cichlid tank??i heard it is ok to use but want to make sure the store guy said it should be...it is called nepheline syenite.sounds dangerous lol

PFS should be fine...I have it in my 55 gallon tank with German Blue Rams, tetras, etc.

What kind of cichlids do you want in your tank? If you are going with Africans, you may want a different substrate that will buffer your pH around 8.0 or higher. PFS will be okay but will not buffer/won't effect your pH and Africans tend to "prefer/require" a pH of 8.0 or higher as they like basic water.

alright cool i put it in and am now cycling my tank:) and my waters ph is naturally near 8:) also the type of cichlids are africans.

PFS is actually incredibly recommended. I've used the (not recommended) play sand with washing, and it works well with care. Africans sound like a great idea with that pH out of the tap. So don't be scared off.

With scary scientific names you need to be able to take a step back. For instance, you can find shampoos at the local co-op that are "SDS free" but contain "sodium lauryl sulfate." It's the same thing, different name. And it's fine for most people, except a few percent of very sensitive people.

One of the most common solvents in research is acetonitrile. Which sound very pleasant...until you go to the IUPAC name and it's methyl cyanide as well. Same thing, but one name is scary. If you're worried do a search for the MSDS (material safety data sheet) for a chemical you're run into. You may have a harder time finding it for a strange mineral name, such as this one, but it will give you all the details you need...although they tend to err on the side of extreme caution.

alright i guess ill make a referance check ty:) usually i usae regualr y and very dark as it is meant to do that to make things with so i went with pool filter sand which has been reccomended by many but just wanted to make sure ty all for your help

Back
Top Bottom