So... why am I working so hard for these fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolchinchilla

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was reading somewhere that a 90 gallon tank could house 15 mbunas. (!) I have 10 in a 30 gallon. 8O Hmmmmmmm.... I also read that Mbunas prefer a sand or small pebble substrate. I have large gravel. 8O It also said that UGFs are no good because the fish waste would overwhelm it and because the fish like to dig so much. I have a UGF on this tank. 8O I read that Mbunas don't like too much current. I have a powerhead on the UGF which produces quite a bit of turbulence. 8O I read that having several males was not a good idea. I have at least 4 males among 3 or more species. 8O The only thing I got going right as far as I can tell is I have a lot of rock work.

But the guy I got it from had happy healthy fish with minimal aggression problems, he changed 10% of the water every few weeks w/light gravel vacs, he never tested the water, he fed 'em 2 large tablespoons of flakes twice a day (I timed about 4 minute feed times for 1 teaspoon), and quite lax about changing the HOB filter cartridge (it came to me really gunked up). He went to the LFS for most any questions he had.

From what I've read in my short tenure of being a cichlid owner (2 months) that this previous owner wasn't taking care of his fish "well enough." But when I tested his water, ammonia and nitrites were zero and nitrates were around 40 ppm, the fish all looked healthy and they went through the stress of moving generally just fine.

So... why am I working so hard for these fish? :? :| (more water changes, deeper gravel vacs, water testing, less food, figuring out how to reduce the bioload, finding a home for some of these fish, worrying about aggression, wondering how to change the turbulence or if I need to change my substrate, going to online communities, newsgroups & fish info sites to ask questions and learn more about keeping fish) Can I tell myself that my fish were just "surviving" before and under my care they are "thriving"? Is what I'm doing making their life better? Or am I just making more work for myself unnecessarily? :roll:

Just being reflective here. :yawn:
coolchinchilla

I read that Mbunas don't like too much current.
Mbuna's like current. We have 2 strong powerheads in our tank in addition to 3 filters and they have no issues.

Can I tell myself that my fish were just "surviving" before and under my care they are "thriving"? Is what I'm doing making their life better? Or am I just making more work for myself unnecessarily?
You are correct. Africans are tough fish and can take alot. The Nitrates of 40 is high and should be 30 or less. Chances are they were surviving before but now with the proper care, they are thriving. You are doing the right thing in taking proper care of these fish.

Fishyfanatic said:
Mbuna's like current. We have 2 strong powerheads in our tank in addition to 3 filters and they have no issues.

Ok.. good to know

You are correct. Africans are tough fish and can take alot. The Nitrates of 40 is high and should be 30 or less. Chances are they were surviving before but now with the proper care, they are thriving. You are doing the right thing in taking proper care of these fish.

Thanks for the affirmation. :multi: :)

Coolchinchilla

As well, to the lack of aggression...interestingly enough, if you overcrowd mbunas, they are so stressed by lack of proper territories, that they tend to foget all about aggression.....it is done by a lot of people, and although they get away with it, it does not mean that it is a good thing by any stretch.

good fish husbandry can be a pain in the :butt: . But, if you care for your fish and enjoy the hobby, theres more good than bad. (usually :wink: )

Back
Top Bottom