Spitting out food.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koppriecht

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone seen African cichlids spitting out food and then sucking it back into their mouth to spit out again, repeated a few times. Just got my first 4 Africans and they all do this. I am feeding them a pellet food for Cichlids. I have a Red Dwarf Jewel, Peacock hybrid, Demasoni, and Yellow Lab.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they do this to soften it up before they digest it.

You could always just soak the food for a few minutes beforehand to soak it up and make it more dense and 'sinkable'.

Africans also do this when holding but that's a different thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, common. Many of my fish do this. It really isn't a problem as long they are eating it in the end. Feeding a smaller size NLS may solve it if it bothers you.

Also, I know you didn't ask this but keeping a West African jewel cichlid with rift lake cichlids is pretty much asking for trouble.

Yeah, I already heard it was a bad idea. Seems so far the Peacock is the dominate fish, also the largest. Then is the Demasoni, very territorial. I did some research but when I got in the store I ended up feeling overwhelmed and picked the ones that looked good. Of course the sales person was no help.

95003-albums14114-picture67643.jpg

Also, I know you didn't ask this but keeping a West African jewel cichlid with rift lake cichlids is pretty much asking for trouble.

It really isn't, you can't possibly know what will happen as a fact so don't try and scare people away from trying something different.

It really isn't, you can't possibly know what will happen as a fact so don't try and scare people away from trying something different.

It's not something different, it's been done before often with less than desirable results.

dalto is on point.

It's not something different, it's been done before often with less than desirable results.

dalto is on point.

It has also been done before with much more than desirable results.

You're like one of those people that try to ward people away from saltwater because it's 'so much harder'.

It has also been done before with much more than desirable results.

You're like one of those people that try to ward people away from saltwater because it's 'so much harder'.

No, I'm one of those people who believe in research and stocking correctly. To achieve the healthiest environment for the fish and ease of the aquarist. I have no issues with saltwater, it's not my thing but I won't dissuade someone for wanting to try.

So nice try, peddle your false assumptions else where.

Anyway back to the OP, try switching to a smaller pellet. Like NLS Thera-A .5mm.

No, I'm one of those people who believe in research and stocking correctly. To achieve the healthiest environment for the fish and ease of the aquarist. I have no issues with saltwater, it's not my thing but I won't dissuade someone for wanting to try.

So nice try, peddle your false assumptions else where.

Ok folks. Somewhere else please.

Op, I don't have African's but I do have SA Cichlids. I notice that mine will do the same when I feed hard pellets. Mine don't have teeth but a bony jaw. They will chew it up and spit it out and then go after the smaller pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium advice.

Mine like to sift through the sand and they will spit the sand back out, its actually kind of cool to watch them do it. any food that gets trapped down there they go digging.

Found this on Aquatics Community:

Tank Buddies: They are very few fish that can be placed with Red Jewel. Generally the Red Jewls will accept peacock cichlids, same sized mbunas, or haplochromis African cichlids. They are very aggressive towards New World Cichlids such as a Green Terror, Smaller Dwarf Cichlids, Jack Dempseys, etc.

Aren't Demasoni and Yellow Lab Mbuna?

Tank Buddies: They are very few fish that can be placed with Red Jewel. Generally the Red Jewls will accept peacock cichlids, same sized mbunas, or haplochromis African cichlids. They are very aggressive towards New World Cichlids such as a Green Terror, Smaller Dwarf Cichlids, Jack Dempseys, etc.

Yes they are.
People put Jewels with Mbuna all the time.

They are mbuna. This is not good advice in my opinion. My experience with the jewel cichlid species I have kept is that they are relatively passive until they start spawning at which point they become very territorial towards other species. Since you have a lone fish my expectation is that you risk it being outcompeted and possibly beat up on. Especially as you add fish and safe territory becomes harder to find.

Keep in mind, there are actually a bunch of different related fish called "Jewel Cichlids" which don't all have the same temperament so it is a bit hard to know what you are going to get from a temperament perspective.

I want to be clear, it is not impossible that this will work for you. However, when you mix territorial fish from drastically different environments with such different behavioral patterns it will fail more often than it will work.

Yes they are.
People put Jewels with Mbuna all the time.
People put clown loaches in 10g tanks all the time.
People put goldfish in bowls all the time.
People put large volumes of fish in uncycled tanks all the time.
Doesn't really make it a good idea.

Have you done this yourself and had long-term success(for more than a year)? What is your basis for your strong opinion here?

My concern is that sometimes things will work in the short-term but not the long-term. It is possible to see a tank that looks like it works for a while before it all falls apart. I have seen people throw mbuna into a peaceful community tank with tetras. Sometimes it works due to the specific fish involved. I still wouldn't recommend it broadly as it will not work the majority of the time.

I can't be arsed arguing, OP already has the fish, if you're that bothered, go over and yank them out yourself.

I can't be arsed arguing, OP already has the fish, if you're that bothered, go over and yank them out yourself.
I am not bothered, just trying to share information with the OP that I have learned through keeping these fishes. Ultimately, he will need to determine the right path for his fish.

I asked the question not to be difficult but to try to understand if there was some point that I was misunderstanding. I learn new things all the time so I wanted to make sure there was not something I was missing.

It is a Red Dwarf Jewel Cichlid. I do have another 30 gal community tank with: a Gouramis, Zebra Danios, Minnows, Platys, 2 Kribensis, and a Cherry Barb. Do you think the lone Jewel would be better off in there?

Back
Top Bottom