Stock advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Girl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am finally near to being ready to set up my new 4x2x2 tank - two more coats of paint on the stand and paint the back of the tank and I'll be ready to roll.

I have a largish amount of slate available to me, 4 bags of Caribsea Black Tahitian Moon Sand, egg crate, new Eheim 2217, new Jäger 250w heater all ready to go along with the existing AC70 from the tank they're currently in. So close!!!

My current stock list is:
1 BN Pleco
2 Synodontis Multipunctatus
1 A. Baenschi (male)
1 Protomelas Mara Rocks (male)
2 Labidochromis Caeruleus (sex unknown)
2 unidentified females (one holding)
1 unidentified unsexed cichlid
1 S. Fryeri (male)

Pics attached - any help with ID's would be great, along with suggested additions and numbers for when the new tank is up and running. The current stock list is a bit of a mash up from being a noob and taking the advice of the LFS without knowing if they had any idea themselves. I am open to rehoming if need be.

Thinking about Pseudotropheus Interruptus or Acei - any thoughts? Thanks!!!

image-1081343122.jpg Aulonocara Baenschi (Khal Drogo - king of the tank) image-4269430925.jpg Holding female (ID?) image-3340866582.jpg Unidentified, unsexed cichlid in QT image-3014598922.jpg Same fish since being in main tank (approx 3 months) image-394798983.jpg S. Fryeri (The Hound - love this guy!) image-1075250477.jpg Protomelas Mara Rocks (Muchacho - pretty laid back dude)

Attachments

• image-3215220717.jpg
    image-3215220717.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3436565234.jpg
    image-3436565234.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 95
Would really love some input here. I'm looking for a colourful, peaceful tank. I had planned for all male but have at least one and more likely 3 females amongst my fish family.

I'm thinking of adding another 2 yellow labs and an assortment of male peacocks. Any that you would recommend or warn against?

Any other species ie pseudotropheus that could be suitable tank mates?

Sorry I'm no help but you have some nice fish already

your first fish isn't either of those you named, I don't think. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what he is, though, a sunshine peacock? I'm not sure on most the others, either. The big electric blue and white is an ahli. I'm wondering if Drogo is a hap as opposed to peacock, but really not sure

your first fish isn't either of those you named, I don't think. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what he is, though, a sunshine peacock? I'm not sure on most the others, either. The big electric blue and white is an ahli. I'm wondering if Drogo is a hap as opposed to peacock, but really not sure

The first fish was identified for me as Aulonocara Baenschi but I think you're right and he's a Sunshine Peacock aka Aulonocara Stuartgranti Maleri.

The blue guy is definitely S. Fryeri though and not an ahli. Maybe it's the pic :)

You're right, he's cool! Others may disagree, but in a 75g? I think you may be close to maxed in stock. You may want to look into removing the females. Allows for more colorful stock options and no hybrid fry, plus they say males will be less aggressive if no females. However, I need to follow my own advice I still have one female in my 75, but mine are still fairly small... If you know you'll upgrade your tank, I would suggest these links:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=1

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/category.php?cat=3

I think my next guy will be a deep water hap or livingstoni =)

It's 95 gallons according to the tank volume calculators I've used so I believe I can stock about 20 fish if I stick to peacocks?

Thanks for the links - I'll check them out :)

It's 95 gallons according to the tank volume calculators I've used so I believe I can stock about 20 fish if I stick to peacocks? Thanks for the links - I'll check them out :)
Try about 120g. 20 peacocks would be alright in your tank of that's all your stocking with. Are you going all male setup?

Try about 120g. 20 peacocks would be alright in your tank of that's all your stocking with. Are you going all male setup?

Really? All of the calculators I've used say a 4x2x2 tank = 95 gal? Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if it is actually 120!!!!

I can rehome the females if need be but what I'm really looking for is any other species that might fit in with my current stock. I know that the labs are ok with peacocks but I'm not sure if there are any other mbuna that would be suitable tank mates. I'm guessing I should steer clear of haps because this will be the biggest tank I have space for.

I do love my peacocks though - if I go all male peacocks is it recommended to only have one of each type?

Thanks for the reply!!!!

Really? All of the calculators I've used say a 4x2x2 tank = 95 gal? Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if it is actually 120!!!! I can rehome the females if need be but what I'm really looking for is any other species that might fit in with my current stock. I know that the labs are ok with peacocks but I'm not sure if there are any other mbuna that would be suitable tank mates. I'm guessing I should steer clear of haps because this will be the biggest tank I have space for. I do love my peacocks though - if I go all male peacocks is it recommended to only have one of each type? Thanks for the reply!!!!

Well all your calculators are wrong. It's not that female peacocks are bad males will just fight if you have them in the tank. You could do a group of synodontis cats on the bottom

Well all your calculators are wrong. It's not that female peacocks are bad males will just fight if you have them in the tank. You could do a group of synodontis cats on the bottom

Awesome! I just had another look and it calculated 90 IMPERIAL gallons when I put the tank measurements in cm but 120 US gallons when I put them in inches! I didn't even know there was a difference! Thanks TCC! I'm one happy gal right now :)

Ok so rehome the females, add another say 2 synodontis multipunctatus to bring their school to 4, and up to 20 peacocks. How does that sound?

Only one of each type of peacock? For example can I have more than one of similar colouring?

Back
Top Bottom