Tangs with Peacocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howmanyds

Aquarium Advice Freak
Thoughts on mixing peacocks with mild-mannered tangs? Are the only water parameter differences between these groups the fact that peacocks like hard water while tangs prefer very hard? Can peacocks adjust to a higher level? If they were to be mixed at the time of tank stocking would it be fine to have older and larger peacocks (due to the need to purchase male only)? Should one group be added before another?

Thanks!

If you stick with the smaller, more peaceful tanganyika's you should be alright. Peacock aren't push overs. About the pH, I think if you keep it stable around 8 you should be alright. Most fish adjust as long as it dosent change drastically. I wouldn't worry about how the fish are added to the tank, but I would try to get them all as juveniles.

I have them mixed in my tank. They all get along great except some of the tangs will pick on each other. The aggression seems to stay within the group.

Just remember that most times fish will adapt to your pH. Chances are as long as you buy your fish in the area you live your pH is likely the same as LFS. Stability is the most important thing. Don't ever use any chemicals to alter pH, stay away from pH up/down- they do more harm than good. If your pH must be changed (I forget what is used) but so it naturally.

Back
Top Bottom