Temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nogauthi

Aquarium Advice Activist
Should I be worried. My tank temperature doesn't seen to get much lower. My heather is at its lowest and my water use to be around 86 F. Now 90-92F

I would start worrying about keeping enough oxygen at those temps. Do you know why its so high? Sounds to me that there is something wrong with the heater or you just don't need one. What's the temp in the house?

Andrew McFadden said:
I would start worrying about keeping enough oxygen at those temps. Do you know why its so high?

Not really. Got new lights but hate them. Will change hope by end of next week. I've just open the cover for the night. Yes we are heating the house more then it was this summer. If I unplug heather what temp should I keep it at. I was told 86F

Nogauthi said:
Not really. Got new lights but hate them. Will change hope by end of next week.

Sorry I edited after you quoted me

Can you figure out a way on how to raise the lights up farther from the water

Nogauthi said:
Not really. Got new lights but hate them. Will change hope by end of next week. I've just open the cover for the night. Yes we are heating the house more then it was this summer. If I unplug heather what temp should I keep it at. I was told 86F

What kind of Cichlids? 86 seems high to me.... I keep mine @ 79* - 80*, I keep Africans.

Last edited:
Andrew McFadden said:
Agreed mines the same

Does the temp go down after the lights have been off?

Around 87F My heather light always seems one. So if I unplug heather will they be safe to gradually go down to 80F. Being that they were always used to hotter temp

I would think there is a bigger risk being at such a hot temp. Now that you say that I think the heater is not functioning right and you need a new one.

I'd unplug it what do you think Jess?

Andrew McFadden said:
I would think there is a bigger risk being at such a hot temp. Now that you say that I think the heater is not functioning right and you need a new one.

All right will do in morning. What is a good heather for a 65 gallon

Andrew McFadden said:

I would say unplug it too... I edited my post above to find out what kind of Cichlids the op has because I know Discus prefer higher temps. Africans can tolerate temps of 76-82 and I usually keep my fry tanks on the higher end at about 80-81. If it is Africans I agree that leaving it plugged in is the bigger risk ;)

Last edited:
Andrew McFadden said:
Is go with an Aqueon Pro and I'd aim for around 300 watts where I live not sure about how cold it gets where you live

+1

I love my Aqueon heater, it's the only one that hasn't given me problems :)

Plus its always a good idea to buy two so I'd do 150-200 watts of one brand and another of a different brand. That way if one stops working youll still have one compared to none. Plus like me I only need to run 1 in the summer months and add the second for the winter

Ebo jäger is a dang good heater. Walmart heaters (tetra I think, don't quote me though) are JUNK

Andrew McFadden said:
Plus its always a good idea to buy two so I'd do 150-200 watts of one brand and another of a different brand. That way if one stops working youll still have one compared to none. Plus like me I only need to run 1 in the summer months and add the second for the winter

Is their a good web site to order from in Canada. My fish store only has eheim and marineland. I don't find much choice her around Ottawa

Pet solutions has thier cyber Monday sale going on they have the fluval e-series on sale at a great price. Think 32 bucks for the 200w which is normally 40+.

Back
Top Bottom