What is this on my oscars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://youtu.be/IxFCIbewIlk
My daughter put one under a microscope, granted it's not a real fancy one, and this is what it looked like...still no closer to finding out what it is...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The video on the substrate...those resemble seed shrimp. I see those in my shrimp tank. Google Ostracods or Seed Shrimp.

The video on the substrate...those resemble seed shrimp. I see those in my shrimp tank. Google Ostracods or Seed Shrimp.

Here is a video to compare them too

Mike - Those are like city rats compared to the ones in the previous vid. I've seen them in fountain and they were sesame seed size, though the ones in my tank are quite small (like this dot ".")
Sizes range from 0.2 - 30 mm as per this site:
A to Z of Oz Marine Life

Yea I see that now but if you look close there are much smaller ones in the video also. I was just hoping it was something to compare to and either rule out or confirm.

So I read the articles posted and seed shrimp say they have a shell, when my daughter put one under her microscope she said it was soft, didn't feel a shell. It does sound like seed shrimp, maybe they are too tiny for shells?

So I read the articles posted and seed shrimp say they have a shell, when my daughter put one under her microscope she said it was soft, didn't feel a shell. It does sound like seed shrimp, maybe they are too tiny for shells?

It is a soft shell. Think of a soft shell crab, not like a normal hard crab shell.

Back
Top Bottom