Why is my ph so low

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Candi1990

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 125 with 2 adult jacks and 2 almost adults parrots, ph stay very low.

I also have a 55 6 convicts and 4 silver dollars. Ph also,very low. 6.0

I know cichlids like a higher ph what's the danger and should I use chemicals to raise it?

Have you checked tap ph?

Crushed coral can be used to increase ph fairly safely. I think you can also get cichlids buffer powders but have never used these.

You PH is low for 1 of 2 reasons:

A: You're PH out of the tap is that low

B: If there's allot of wood in your tank it can lower the PH.

6.0 is a little low for Central American cichlids like your Jacks, they are normally in a range of 6.5-7.8. Try adding crushed coral to slowly and naturally raise the PH. Stay away from chemical PH buffers, they can end up being problematic if not used or monitored correctly.

If your fish seem happy and healthy I honestly see no reason to muck with the PH. If your water is that low out of the tap however you have the perfect water for South American species.

Fresh out of the tap its really high! But i read you have to let it sit out 48 hours to get a good reading,

Idk the fish all seem very happy! I have 2 tanks with mollies and they are low too. Not only are they happy 2 of the 4 tanks are breeding. But i do know all the fish i have like higher ph. Where do i get crush coral a fish store? Thanks for your help.

You should get an accurate PH reading on the water after about 24 hours, set out a glass and check the PH after it gases off and let us know the result.

What is really high? It shouldn't drop more that a full point.

If your fish are happy I wouldn't worry about it to much. It's not that your fish like a higher PH so much as they like water with higher total dissolved solids.

You can get crushed coral at any LFS, Petco and Petsmart also carry it.

All drinkable tap water is between 6.0 and 8.5. Your fish will be fine in 6.0 ideally you want to be between 6.5 -7.5 but lower ph is better than ph fluctuation. By using chemicals you are going to fluctuate. I would second the recommendation by adding crush coral.

Just realized I echoed everything Moqurako said. I should have read more carefully. Sooo I agree with him :)

I didnt know about wood removing ph. Cool love learning something new.

I am not sure of the exact chemical process of it but all woods contain tannins. When added to the water the tannins will leech out and soften the water.

Also same thing happens when there is allot of decaying plant matter.

Worth taking tap water into store for kh test perhaps. I have ph tap ~8 but kh is 4 (soft) so my ph slides down without cuttlebone, shells, etc.

I agree though on not trying to make big changes. I just try to tweak mine so ph in the tank stays around 7 - 7.5.

Edit - tweak kh I mean.

Back
Top Bottom