Will a fx5 work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jakepen

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, I currently have the fluval 406 and emperor 400, I want to replace the emperor with a fx5. But my cabinet under the tank is pretty short, I'll post a picture of how I have to set my 406, what I want to know is could I do the same thing with the fx5, does anyone know if it's much taller than the 406 ( I could just look at dimensions online I suppose.) I just want to know if I can stick the nozzles out of the back like the 406

image-2035126006.jpg

What size tank? I love the filstar canisters and their pretty compact. Here are my 2 under my 72 gallon.

Attachments

• image-1908721225.jpg
    image-1908721225.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 85
What size tank? I love the filstar canisters and their pretty compact. Here are my 2 under my 72 gallon.

70 gallon. I know it's overkill, but I really want to over filter. And my next tank I plan on getting will be over 100 gallons, so I'm gonna want the fx5 for that. So either I could buy another 406 for my 70, than the fx5 when I get my next tank, or skip the 406, and just get the fx5 now. If it can fit. But I think it may be to wide, and the nozzles won't reach the outside of the cabinet

If 406 doesn't fit then fx5 won't. I looked into it when I was buying. It's big! Look at pet solutions. They usually give dimensions of their stuff and have good prices, free shipping and they ship fast! All my stuff comes in 2 days

The FX5 has the hose connections on the middle of the canister, you will not be able to stick them out of the back like that. I'll try to remember and measure mine tonight, the angle that the hose goes in to the quick release nozzle makes the tank taller than they state online.

The "rated" aquarium size is very over rated. Unless you have an extremely under stocked tank. They claim the FX5 is good up to 400g but there is no way I'd run a single FX5 on anything remotely close to that. I'm actually thinking about buying a second for my 125g, although my CF-500UV is doing a decent job, it's "rated" at 525gph, I'd say it's closer to 30 or so. The FX5 is rated at 925gph and it easily puts out double what my CF-500UV does.

When I find a deal on a 180g I will definitely run two FX5's.

The FX5 has the hose connections on the middle of the canister, you will not be able to stick them out of the back like that. I'll try to remember and measure mine tonight, the angle that the hose goes in to the quick release nozzle makes the tank taller than they state online.

The "rated" aquarium size is very over rated. Unless you have an extremely under stocked tank. They claim the FX5 is good up to 400g but there is no way I'd run a single FX5 on anything remotely close to that. I'm actually thinking about buying a second for my 125g, although my CF-500UV is doing a decent job, it's "rated" at 525gph, I'd say it's closer to 30 or so. The FX5 is rated at 925gph and it easily puts out double what my CF-500UV does.

When I find a deal on a 180g I will definitely run two FX5's.

Appreciate it. I'm probably just gonna get another 406, than when I get a bigger tank, move both the 406's, and than buy the fx5.

Two fluval 406's will be more than plenty on a 70g, even if you have it stocked fairly high. It would probably be fine for up to a 125 - 150g depending on the stocking. I'm like you though, I prefer to over filter my tanks.

A FX5 on a 72B works and fits perfectly and has for years, this is from 33 seconds ago. This tank is 1.5" away from the wall, just enough for the hoses to fit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
A FX5 on a 72B works and fits perfectly and has for years, this is from 33 seconds ago. This tank is 1.5" away from the wall, just enough for the hoses to fit.

Thanks, but unfortunately my cabinet is to shallow to house the fx

Back
Top Bottom