Yellow Lab Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was wondering what the minimum size tank is for a pair of Yellow Labs. Do you think 29 gallons would be sufficient? Also, I was wondering how to raise the fry. Thank you very much!

How many yellow labs and what would u like to know about breeding

I was thinking however many would be happy in a 29 gallon tank. :)

As far as breeding goes, I would mainly like to know how to get them to breed and what the fry eat.

I don't know much about Cichlids, so your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

You really need a longer tank. 55 is a minimum for optimum health. 2 labs is prob not a good idea. If you buy a breeding pair you will constantly have to remove the female from the main tank. He could bug her to death (literaly) to breed. Labs do better in a 1 male to 4 female ratio. If you have good water and male/female labs. You will have fry. Then you have to either strip the holding female or place her in a different tank until she releases the fry. Then you have to keep the fry seperate. I use a small box inside my main that seperates the fish. I suggest you do lots and lots of research. There is a lot of good (and bad) info out there.

I have some demasoni fry right now and I feed them brine shrimp and u can probly fit about 10 full sized in there breeding now have one male to every 3 to 4 females they will eventually start mating when mature around 2 inches the holding female u would want to put in nursery sold at your local fish store I will post pictures of my nursery once u notice the eggs have hatched in her mouth u will want to strip the fry by gently squeezing her cheeks or buying a fry catch (you can also make one) the fully grown yellow labs will make nests and designs in them when they are ready to breed you can also lower the water 30% and fill it up with 20% cold water to mimic rain season witch encourages there breeding seasons and u can also do the mirror trick place a mirror in the tank the alpha male will see his reflection and start to flair up and show dominance and will show it by mating with all the females

You really need a longer tank. 55 is a minimum for optimum health. 2 labs is prob not a good idea. If you buy a breeding pair you will constantly have to remove the female from the main tank. He could bug her to death (literaly) to breed. Labs do better in a 1 male to 4 female ratio. If you have good water and male/female labs. You will have fry. Then you have to either strip the holding female or place her in a different tank until she releases the fry. Then you have to keep the fry seperate. I use a small box inside my main that seperates the fish. I suggest you do lots and lots of research. There is a lot of good (and bad) info out there.

Thanks! Is it that they need the extra gallons, or just a long tank? The reason why I ask is because I could possibly get a 33g long tank if I wanted to. :thanks:

They need the biggest footprint possible. So not tall tanks. Increase square inches not cubic inches. Either more width or length

Back
Top Bottom