Believe it or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crabs

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anybody who doesn't believe Cleaner Shrimp will eat healthy snails are sadly mistaken. I was constantly adding snails to my nano to replace the ones that left nothing but their empty shells. Because I was always told that these shrimp won't eat healthy snails, I was inclined to believe the snails weren't healthy. I even replaced a cleaner at one point because he got too big for my 14 bio. And still my snails continued to disappear eventually, even with the new cleaner. I got rid of this newest shrimp about 6 weeks ago and I haven't lost a snail since. Go figure
Another thing I was told is that Nassarius snails won't crawl out of tanks. I had 2 large Orange Spotted Nassarius snails. Now I have 1. 1 of these snails refused to stay in my 30gal. tank. Four times I found him on the floor. The last time he wasn't as fortunate. Apparently he was out too long. I kept his shell. That's all I had left of this $6 snail. So don't believe everything people tell you when it comes to SW aquariums. People can tell u they're own experiences but nobody knows everything about this hobby. (although some people believe they do)

Crabs said:
Anybody who doesn't believe Cleaner Shrimp won't eat healthy snails are sadly mistaken. I was constantly adding snails to my nano to replace the ones that left nothing but their empty shells. Because I was always told that these shrimp won't eat healthy snails, I was inclined to believe the snails weren't healthy. I even replaced a cleaner at one point because he got too big for my 14 bio. And still my snails continued to disappear eventually, even with the new cleaner. I got rid of this newest shrimp about 6 weeks ago and I haven't lost a snail since. Go figure
Another thing I was told is that Nassarius snails won't crawl out of tanks. I had 2 large Orange Spotted Nassarius snails. Now I have 1. 1 of these snails refused to stay in my 30gal. tank. Four times I found him on the floor. The last time he wasn't as fortunate. Apparently he was out too long. I kept his shell. That's all I had left of this $6 snail. So don't believe everything people tell you when it comes to SW aquariums. People can tell u they're own experiences but nobody knows everything about this hobby. (although some people believe they do)

Thanks for sharing and so so true. If you don't mind me sharing a little story that nobody seems to believe. I saw it with my own 2 eyes. My HUGE cleaner snatched right outta mid air a much much smaller cleaner and tore it up!! I was like WHAT........ Couldn't believe what I just saw. Anyway, again thanks for sharing your story.

:(

Is it true that if any shrimp or crab have nothing else to eat they'll eat snails and/or eachother? Would they also munch on corals for nutrients?

Yeah, I suppose if there wasn't anything else to eat. Thing about my cleaners is the fact that they ate very well. Aside fm the snails, I fed them bits of raw scallop daily. Maybe this is where I made my mistake. Feeding raw bits of meat maybe where they got their desire for escargot. I've never had problems with the crabs though. I had a couple in the past that would attack me but nothing else. I toss in reef pellets fm Spectrum fm time to time. But mostly they are satisfied with picking at the rock in the tank

Back
Top Bottom