Evans 20 Gallon Nano Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evansimp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone, I am new to the fish keeping hobby! Right now I have a 40 gallon freshwater tank, but I've really been wanting to get a nano reef. I have an extra 10 gallon tank that I started with. I got It at petsmart as a kit so everything is all stock. I was wondering if I would eventually be able to convert that into a nano reef if I upgrade filtration and lighting etc. Or if buying a 8 gallon nano reef kit would be easier and cheaper.

I have been reading about nano reefs for a while and I know starting out small is tougher, but I don't neglect tanks and water changes and all! So what do you guys think? Is it possible?

I want a basic tank to! Soft corals and maybe a clown fish or two! Thank you guys!

It's def possible! Sounds like your about to do the same thing I've been doing all summer long. I started out with a basic 10 gallon stock bundle and all I did was upgrade the light and add a power head. Your stock filter will be fine. Just go with plenty of live rock!! Live rock means everything in saltwater. I can also recommend a light for you if your interested. Here's a few pics from my 10 gallon reef.

Attachments

• image-943471473.jpg
    image-943471473.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 816
  • image-3150656915.jpg
    image-3150656915.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 716
  • image-4821266.jpg
    image-4821266.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 642
  • image-2598628269.jpg
    image-2598628269.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 694
Huffers said:
It's def possible! Sounds like your about to do the same thing I've been doing all summer long. I started out with a basic 10 gallon stock bundle and all I did was upgrade the light and add a power head. Your stock filter will be fine. Just go with plenty of live rock!! Live rock means everything in saltwater. I can also recommend a light for you if your interested. Here's a few pics from my 10 gallon reef.

Dude I saw your 10 gallon in another thread and that's what made me want to do this! :D it looks great!

Yeah a light recommendation would be awesome! :) but maybe something under 100$ of possible! I don't have a huge budget

Lol ya iv seen these pics many times... Haha. Looks good.

Anyways, a pair of clowns wouldnt fit in a 10 gallon, but there are other fish you could put in there...

Thanks! I actually got my light off eBay and have to say I've been more than impressed with it. Search on eBay for "EVO quad clip 3 watt LED aquarium light". I'll attach the picture of what you should see. Price is $90 with free shipping. (no I'm not the seller! Haha!) But I def have had great results with this light with my 10 gallon.

Attachments

• image-1043855430.jpg
    image-1043855430.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 668
So my small 10 gallon filter has Benificial bacteria and is cycled! Does that mean I don't have to cycle a saltwater tank? Or is the bacteria different for saltwater and freshwater?

The bacteria is much different. You'll need a new filter pad in my opinion. Also I would use live rock to assist in your cycle process. Live rock is the single most beneficial agent in saltwater aquaria.

PAR38 lighting, in a white and blue combo LED configuration.

Found this on my local Craigslist for 65$ ... Will this work? Thank you

Attachments

• image-2428219756.jpg
    image-2428219756.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 587
  • image-715310048.jpg
    image-715310048.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 523
That light looks good, I've heard from a few members on this forum that thy were great for nanos.

Zactheninja said:
That light looks good, I've heard from a few members on this forum that thy were great for nanos.

Thank you! Il look Into this. Is the price decent? I'm really new to the saltwater side of aquariums so I don't know much about prices

Evansimp said:
Thank you! Il look Into this. Is the price decent? I'm really new to the saltwater side of aquariums so I don't know much about prices

They go new for 80-90 I think.
You could try to get him down on the price.

So I'm getting a 10 gallon setup tomorrow which was going to be for my gf, to take care of the little fry my current 10 gallon holds. But I figure I might as well give her my 10 gallon thats cycled and all, and take the new one for my reef. Works out well.

So tomorrow, what should I buy to start cycling my nano reef? I have no sand, live rock, salt, etc! I'm starting fresh!

Thank you!

2 pds of live rock per gallon, and half pound of sand per gallon, that will help with the cycling quick

markhub81 said:
2 pds of live rock per gallon, and half pound of sand per gallon, that will help with the cycling quick

Awesome! Will try my best to get as much of the LR as I can with my budget for now. And what about salt?

any reef salt, its more pref, but you could ask around i use coral pro, and instant ocean and never had probs. If budget is a problem just get the cheapest no biggie from what ive read

Thanks for the help everyone! It is greatly appreciated!

Last question for a while: I'm going to my dads this weekend for 2-3 days, and I was planning on starting the cycle today. Should I wait till Monday to start my reef? Or can I start it today and let it run 3 days without any maintenance? Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom