Filtration for 10 Gal Nano?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm running the current orbit leds right now on the 40b with some pretty impressive results.

I agree, with the size tank a par38 would be a good option. :) You can get them alot cheaper than $100 as well, my par38 was only $20 bucks or so on amazon. I bought the gooseneck clamp for like $30 and was done.

Carey, I found these

http://www.amazon.com/Coral-Compulsion-Par38-Par30-Fixture/dp/B00FX49CFM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395106171&sr=8-1&keywords=par38+gooseneck

Amazon.com: ABI 12W LED Grow Aquarium Light 100-240V (Blue 450-470nm): Patio, Lawn & Garden

Are these the ones your using?

Just found LED lighting for reef tanks that offer's 130/par and has white and blue lights in it. Cost is $125.00, does that sound like a good price?

Also another quick question. If I purchase live sand now will it be okay for me to hold on to it until I am ready to use it or does it have an expiration on it?

Post a link and we'll be able to tell you more. The bagged live sand? If so that's not really live, it's just wet.

Post a link and we'll be able to tell you more. The bagged live sand? If so that's not really live, it's just wet.

Here you go...
Amazon.com: Marineland Reef Capable LED Lighting System w/ TIMER 18-24": Pet Supplies

After finding it I went to Marine Land's site to get the specs on it and figured the higher par rating would be better if I want to try other than soft corals.

Thanks for the heads up on the sand BigRed, wasn't sure so thought I would ask lol.

For that money I would just get the Taos. I find it odd that they specifically say "soft corals and live rock", makes me think the light is probably weak.

For that money I would just get the Taos. I find it odd that they specifically say "soft corals and live rock", makes me think the light is probably weak.

Good point, didn't think about that. Thanks Big Red :)

What you need to be looking for in LEDs is not so much PAR, but for higher powered LEDs. The Taos and reef breeders use 3w LEDs, all the fluval and marine land systems use less than .5 watt LEDs if I recall correctly.

Thanks RP :) Still trying to decide on which lights I want lol. Good thing is I got everything except the lights and the Live Rock...which leads me to a question.

Is there a difference between "Dry Live Rock" & "Live Rock"? Reason I ask is the dry seems cheaper per pound which will fit my budget a little better at this time. Would this work once combined with the live sand?

The dry rock isn't live, it doesn't contain any of the beneficial bacteria that makes the rock "live." When you buy liverock it has matured in an aquarium and with have grown the bacteria and normally has extra stuff like sponges and coralline algae. To save money you can pick up dry rock and one piece of live rock to help seed the dry rock faster.

I have a 10g that's been running for about 8 months. I just use 2 koralia 240gph. But I do water changes once, sometimes twice a week, depending on the water quality. Sometimes the HOB filters an add unwanted chemicals or take needed ones out. That's just my experience.

The dry rock isn't live, it doesn't contain any of the beneficial bacteria that makes the rock "live." When you buy liverock it has matured in an aquarium and with have grown the bacteria and normally has extra stuff like sponges and coralline algae. To save money you can pick up dry rock and one piece of live rock to help seed the dry rock faster.

Thanks Rp, that is what I was thinking but wanted to get validation on it before making an assumption. I appreciate the information :)

Correction on the lighting I meant lumens in a reef tank is not really important, but par is and you would still need a light putting out higher par to keep anything more than softies and some LPS corals.

Correction on the lighting I meant lumens in a reef tank is not really important, but par is and you would still need a light putting out higher par to keep anything more than softies and some LPS corals.

Correction noted :lol:

Right now, since I am so new to this I think I will stick with the softies and maybe a LPS or so. My hopes are that if I can manage a nano and keep the inhabitants alive and well then I will start to acquire what I need to move to a bigger tank with better everything :fish2:

Also, will be starting a new thread, about to start the setup and want to post pics for everyone on my progress :)

Sounds like a plan. :)

There really isnt any need to go hog wild on your first tank, cause 9 times out of 10 you will be upgrading it eventually. lol

I started with a hangon filter in a 29g and made do with the basics and still had an awesome tank. the most important factor is YOU actually and how well you do your maintenance and keep your tank. The bells and whistles are nice to have but not aboslutely needed most times.

Sounds like a plan. :)

There really isnt any need to go hog wild on your first tank, cause 9 times out of 10 you will be upgrading it eventually. lol

I started with a hangon filter in a 29g and made do with the basics and still had an awesome tank. the most important factor is YOU actually and how well you do your maintenance and keep your tank. The bells and whistles are nice to have but not aboslutely needed most times.

That's exactly what I was thinking Carey :) Plus this is also how I started out in freshwater and it was only a couple months before I was going full blown with a 40 Gallon on them lol. I just wish I would have done this before I took my 55 gallon and made it a freshwater...the 55 would have been better to start with than the 10 but oh well....gives me a reason to go even bigger later haha. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom