fluval Chi to 10 gal upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He looks ways better! Another Couple of days and he'll be fully "blown up." Now you said you never saw it when it was fully expanded right??

He looks ways better! Another Couple of days and he'll be fully "blown up." Now you said you never saw it when it was fully expanded right??

No, it was completely closed up when I got it. The fish store wasn't ready for coral yet. It was thrown in with a few other frags when their fish order came in.

So as far as you know, it could be fully opened... Just a thought... :)

Big improvement. There's only two directions stressed corals generally go and yours seems to be clearly moving towards recovery.

So as far as you know, it could be fully opened... Just a thought... :)

That's an interesting thought. I would expect that it will eventually get much more full looking. However, I was watching it this morning and I could see that it appeared that in some places it was not "sucked in" to the skeleton. I could see the flesh beneath the tentacles when the flow would hit it just right. If that makes sense. It's hard to explain exactly, but it's quite possible that it is very close to being fully extended. I can see a few tentacles that aren't plumped up much just yet. So can I leave it in the sandbed forever? When it starts to get real big it will fill in that corner very nicely.

Big improvement. There's only two directions stressed corals generally go and yours seems to be clearly moving towards recovery.

Thank you! It does seem to be doing well. Sadly I can't say the same for my trumpet coral, I did water changes and all that, tried to feed it... I can only hope it recovers. I've learned that I'm over feeding. I found quite a large bristle worm yesterday. I removed it. But mr x said if I'm seeing them during the day I'm over feeding. That plus the fact that I was having hair algae... I've decided to cut back feeding Blue to every other day. He's not happy about that.

I agree with feeding less but if Blue's not happy with getting food every two days you could just cut the amount of food you've been feeding him in half but still feed every day, just much less each time.

For him, two to three pellets will be plenty. My chromis and smaller fish don't each much more than that

Wow. Just read all 127 pages. Over periods of time today of course. lol.

Would you mind posting a few pictures on here? My computer doesn't like the links very much :(

I agree with feeding less but if Blue's not happy with getting food every two days you could just cut the amount of food you've been feeding him in half but still feed every day, just much less each time.

That's a good idea.

For him, two to three pellets will be plenty. My chromis and smaller fish don't each much more than that

That sounds about right. He ate 5 pellets today and ignored the 6th one. So 3 a day should be fine.

I only feed my tank twice a week, wednesdays and saturdays, and the fish are fine and fat.

I can't go that long! Lol! I'm sure he'd be fine but I tried so hard not to feed him today. I'll stick to feeding him 3 pellets a day, and then once a week feed him a little mysis. Wednesdays will be mysis days w/ no pellets. I think that would be okay. Maybe Sundays will be a fasting day.

Hey- I feed my freshwater tank peas once a week. Do saltwater fish like that or not? It's good for the freshwater fish. Just thought I'd ask.

Bearchumjs said:
I can't go that long! Lol! I'm sure he'd be fine but I tried so hard not to feed him today. I'll stick to feeding him 3 pellets a day, and then once a week feed him a little mysis. Wednesdays will be mysis days w/ no pellets. I think that would be okay. Maybe Sundays will be a fasting day.

Hey- I feed my freshwater tank peas once a week. Do saltwater fish like that or not? It's good for the freshwater fish. Just thought I'd ask.

I think that sounds like a perfect plan. Really small tanks without refugiums don't have the same populations of microorganisms that large reefs with lots of rock and dedicated refugiums have. The rules change a little on large tanks with small fish and small tanks with the same fish. Foraging won't go as far in a 10. Daily feeding is a great idea. Your fish doesn't scrounge on algae like some, doesn't sift sand like others, and doesn't eat large amounts of food that help him to cope with fasting like groupers or hawkfish, etc. Individual fish species is as important a factor as tank size, age, amount of rock, and pod population.

Some fish will enjoy peas but yours doesn't need them. Maybe a piece of nori every so often wouldn't be bad but he doesn't have to have that either. If you really want to have fun you could always hatch brine shrimp. My fish love em but I let my brother borrow my hatchery a couple months back. I prefer the one that uses an upside down soda bottle (that's after trying four popular hatcheries).

I think that sounds like a perfect plan. Really small tanks without refugiums don't have the same populations of microorganisms that large reefs with lots of rock and dedicated refugiums have. The rules change a little on large tanks with small fish and small tanks with the same fish. Foraging won't go as far in a 10. Daily feeding is a great idea. Your fish doesn't scrounge on algae like some, doesn't sift sand like others, and doesn't eat large amounts of food that help him to cope with fasting like groupers or hawkfish, etc. Individual fish species is as important a factor as tank size, age, amount of rock, and pod population.

Some fish will enjoy peas but yours doesn't need them. Maybe a piece of nori every so often wouldn't be bad but he doesn't have to have that either. If you really want to have fun you could always hatch brine shrimp. My fish love em but I let my brother borrow my hatchery a couple months back. I prefer the one that uses an upside down soda bottle (that's after trying four popular hatcheries).

Sea monkeys! Lol! My daughter would love that.

Bearchumjs said:
Sea monkeys! Lol! My daughter would love that.

My daughter also LOVES them. She was pretty disappointed that they didn't look like monkeys the first time she saw them though. -_-

Omg I thought I was going to die! I got some super glue gel to glue down my palys that I unglued to kill aiptasia. Anyway, the fricken glue went everywhere. I finally got them glued down but there was glue all over the polyps. So I used a pair of tweezers to gently get the glue off and it pissed off a polyp and the polyp squirted orange goo into the water. I yanked my hand out so fast! Went to the sink, washed thoroughly, got a rubber glove and went back to finish the job. Was it releasing palytoxins?? Whatever it was it freaked me out. The cat attacked my hand this morning so I had fresh breaks in my skin. Yikes! My stomach hurts but it's only from the adrenaline of thinking my little coral was going to kill me. :Hide: Lol!! Blue doesn't seem effected.

Lol! Oh man, I am cracking up right now! The polys do carry a sort of poison, but mostly you just wanna keep it out of your eyes. Always try and wear glasses when fragging especially with polyps and softies. Your hand will be ok, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. I would however recommend a water change to help the other corals just in case. Especially in such a small tank, the concentration will be higher than say a 60 gallon or larger. Just monitor your other corals and if they seem to not be looking so hot, I would considers coral dip just to clean them up a bit. Hope this helps

Lol! Oh man, I am cracking up right now! The polys do carry a sort of poison, but mostly you just wanna keep it out of your eyes. Always try and wear glasses when fragging especially with polyps and softies. Your hand will be ok, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. I would however recommend a water change to help the other corals just in case. Especially in such a small tank, the concentration will be higher than say a 60 gallon or larger. Just monitor your other corals and if they seem to not be looking so hot, I would considers coral dip just to clean them up a bit. Hope this helps

Oh! I didn't even think about doing a water change. I will do one. It's funny. I was reading palytoxin horror stories last night...

Back
Top Bottom