More Beginner Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCMA

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had posted a question a couple weeks ago about adding a hi fin red banded goby to my 8g oceanic biocube. I picked one up from my lfs today and he is doing great so far, I just had a couple questions on feeding: I bought the same type of pellet food that the store has been feeding them but in my small tank about 1/2 of the pellets got sucked into the filtration system fairly quickly. The goby came right out of his burrow but would only eat the pieces that floated right by him, not any of the ones which landed on the bottom so I was concerned that maybe he won't get enough to eat if this keeps up? Also, a friend of mine gave mr a fragment of a polyp (I am not sure what kind it is, it has a soft purple base, the polyp heads are bright green), he said there weren't any specific care instructions for it as far as feeding/light goes, any opinions? Thanks for the help!

Try saturating the pellets in the water somehow. I'm guessing either pre-soak or just hold them under the water with your fingertips for a second or two. See if that helps.

Check the diet requirements of that fish too. Pellets might not be the best thing.

... I bought the same type of pellet food that the store has been feeding them but in my small tank about 1/2 of the pellets got sucked into the filtration system fairly quickly. .

Many folks will turn off their filtration pumps when they feed so they don't end up just feeding their filters!

I am going to suggest also turning off pumps and PH to feed , also as to the polyps look up green star polyps and see if that is what you have if so they are easy corals to care for fast growers and can quickly over run a tank in no time :) They require mod flow because it keeps the mat clean and clear but that is about it , other than that it is a great starter coral :) it was one of my first :)

I agree with the rest, feed him meaty food. I soak my frozen brine and mysis in Selcon, Zoe and garlic guard.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I tried soaking the pellets and turning off the filter during feeding time today and it worked well. On a side note, do bristleworms ever bother corals? There were several wrapped around the green star polyp (thats what it was!) today and I couldn't tell what they were up to.

I consider them to be an excellent addition to my clean up crew. Mine don't come out till feeding time so it may have been eating leftover food.

On a side note, do bristleworms ever bother corals? There were several wrapped around the green star polyp (thats what it was!) today and I couldn't tell what they were up to.

As Scott said they are excellent janitors and was probably cleaning up around the zoos. When I get home I`ll post an article on them.

From Marined Depot's writeup.....

Like mentioned, that vegetable diet ain't gonna cut it. He needs meat. Try Roka64's food suggestion.

Hi Fin Red Banded Goby - Stonogobiops nematodesAlso known as: Yellow Rose Goby, Filament-Finned Prawn Goby, Antenna Goby, Striped Goby, and the Blackray Shrimp Goby
Maximum Size: The Stonogobiops nematodes grow up to 4 inches.
General Size Specifications: These fish generally will come to you 1 - 2.5 inches.
Minimum Tank Size: The Hi Fin Red Banded Goby prefers a tank of at least 20 gallons with plenty of places to hide & swim.
Diet: The Stonogobiops nematodes is a carnivore and likes to eat small amounts of brine & mysis shrimp and other meaty treats several times a day.

Thanks for the advice guys, I tried some brine shrimp this morning and he ate it right up, is there much of a difference between mysis and brine? I read somewhere that mysis is supposed to be better in terms of nutritional value.

Mysis is more nutritional than brine I equate it to eating popcorn for dinner ,every day and night , you will not get the nutrition that your body needs , brine needs the yolk sak to be more nutritious however that is if you are rasing them a PITB you can load the brine with something like selcon by soaking for about 30 minutes before feeding ... otherwise just use the mysis it is about the same price here for both ;)

Back
Top Bottom