Mr. Aqua 17 -- Restart

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Checked Alk today and it was sitting at 8.6. I started feeding a little heavier and being more generous with the amount of food my LPS get, and as a result im seeing increased growth and color from my almost dead Acan and Frogspawn. So far everything is looking good.

I'm testing Alk and calc every day right now so I can log the shift in levels and be sure to keep it constant. I think the last time the changing alk really played a part in my decreased success. I did about a 2 gallon water change today. Will continue to do that every week or biweekly. Not sure yet. My Fuge is really sucking up nutrients and my skimmer taking out some sludge. I want to get a couple more fish soon, what kind would you guys recommend? I was thinking Midas Blenny and a Tanaka Pygmy Wrasse.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Not sure if anyone is around but I picked up some new frags last night and will again today. Found some local reefers selling at a good price. Got some sunny D's, gobstoppers, and a red Digi.

Really liking this setup man! That sump is perfect in that stand! I'm inspired:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

jScPIHr.jpg

esxd5yH.jpg

Red Planet starting to color up, I paid $10 for this small frag. I thought it to be a good deal. PE is looking good as well.
bIbNK9J.jpg

Some Zoas, the Sunny D's are out of the picture and only two polyps are open for some reason. I'll be watching that I guess :|
jmHnzaR.jpg

Top down of the clam, can't get a good side shot.
Wsoswgf.jpg

Inside the side cabinet housing my ATO and some supplements.

Updated Zoa List:
Eagle Eye
Orange Maul
Magicians
CAG
CAR
Sunny D's
Gobstoppers
Red Ring
Riddlers Revenge
Tubbs Blues
Random Palys
Rastas

SPS:
ORA Red Montipora Digitata
ORA Red Planet

LPS:
Duncan
Frogspawn
Recovering Acan

Tank does look good.
The sump with PS is killer and surely your are exporting no3 with ease for tank size!
Possibly re aiming or additional circulation instead of CUC?
Just me but everything that eats poops.
Keeping crap in water column long enough for filter/PS to remove is best.
CUC is personal entertainment that thrives in your conditions IMO?

Tank does look good.
The sump with PS is killer and surely your are exporting no3 with ease for tank size!
Possibly re aiming or additional circulation instead of CUC?
Just me but everything that eats poops.
Keeping crap in water column long enough for filter/PS to remove is best.
CUC is personal entertainment that thrives in your conditions IMO?

I'm exporting nutrients like crazy with this fuge. I highly recommend using Ecosystem miracle mud. I have better PE than I ever have. There is so much life in the Fuge. The oversized skimmer is surely assisting as well, but it's really wet and tea colored. Since my fuge has taken off the skimmate has gotten to be clearer. Oh well, nutrients are being exported either way.

I'm thinking of adding another MP10 but funds are low right now and a doser is needed more right now for when I go on vacation.

Really liking this setup man! That sump is perfect in that stand! I'm inspired:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks man! Go for it, you'll love it.

Picked up a green Millie, rainbow Monti, bird of paradise, and a bam bams today for $25!

Random question, but how do you go about thinning Chaeto out? I got a baseball a few weeks ago and now it's about the size of a medium frying pan ?

I'm having trouble with the drain to my sump. It is constantly backing up, but it's not because of the return pump. For some reason the water doesn't flow well to the sump. I have the tubing in the water in the sump, should I cut it to allow the air to escape. Could having the vinyl tube in the water be causing it to backup so much?

Break air IMO.
If the sump is still configured as in pics from previous post and flow is direct with no "traps" then allowing air to escape /flow will improve flow.
gdXhMc6.jpg

The intake is straight down behind the skimmer going into the water?
Get it above water line,yes.
Many "dump" their water into socks as a mechanical form of filter.

Break air IMO.
If the sump is still configured as in pics from previous post and flow is direct with no "traps" then allowing air to escape /flow will improve flow.
gdXhMc6.jpg

The intake is straight down behind the skimmer going into the water?
Get it above water line,yes.
Many "dump" their water into socks as a mechanical form of filter.

This did the trick. Thanks a bunch.

At the beach, heading to the wetlands institute. I'll post some cool pics later. When I get home, assuming everything is still looking good, I'll give a photo dump. A friend is taking care of the tank.

I'm looking for some extra light, too. By this I mean the addition of a couple t5s for the added spectrum. Is their an easy way to DIY two t5s with the Radion? I'm open to ideas.

The radion should be more than enough on this tank, have you tried adjusting the channels to get a color temp you like better?

The radion should be more than enough on this tank, have you tried adjusting the channels to get a color temp you like better?

I have. I have the desired color from the light, but I'm wanting more from it. I've thought of either upgrading the Radion to the G3 pro from the current (g1), or adding t5s. It's not so much that I'm dissatisfied with the Radion, I just want more pop from my corals. The tanks I've seen under A hybrid of T5s and LEDs blew my mind. Ideally I would just send the Radion back to be upgraded, but that would leave the tank without light for a few days. Which isn't really an option. I thought of doing the Rapid LED UV kit and somehow attaching it the the side of the Radion.

I have. I have the desired color from the light, but I'm wanting more from it. I've thought of either upgrading the Radion to the G3 pro from the current (g1), or adding t5s. It's not so much that I'm dissatisfied with the Radion, I just want more pop from my corals. The tanks I've seen under A hybrid of T5s and LEDs blew my mind. Ideally I would just send the Radion back to be upgraded, but that would leave the tank without light for a few days. Which isn't really an option. I thought of doing the Rapid LED UV kit and somehow attaching it the the side of the Radion.

Might be more than your looking to spend, but have you looked into the NanoBox retrofit units?

Back
Top Bottom