Nano cube filtration question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pecan2phat

Aquarium Advice Freak
Those that have the JBJ 12g Nano Cube, I know that you probably did not use the bio-balls or the ceramic rings that they supplied. But did you use all 4 sponge filters that came with the unit? If so, how was your placement, (from left to right facing front of cube) 3 in the first compartment and 1 in the third compartment? Or do you just use 1 sponge filter in the third compartment right before the return power head?

I wouldn't use sponges, if you do...make sure you rinse them often so they do not become a biological filter or a nutrient factory.

I was looking at that same exact tank last night. I would love to have a nano setup in my living room. The possibilities...

Anyway, I agree with RR and would not use the sponge at all. If I were you, I would buy ~15lbs of LR and use that as my sole filtration. Perhaps even supplement the pump included with the cube with another smaller PH. This would be all that is needed.

I use a HOB Filter (empty), Mini Jet 404, and LR for my 5 gal mini bow. Works great and whenever I feel it needs a bit of "polishing" I use a polyfilter. Try not to use carbon materials in such small water volumes. Even the best of carbon products will leach some levels of PO4 which can be a nightmare for smaller tanks.

Cheers
Steve

Yup.

Given the size of the tank I didn't want another powerhead in the tank and the HOB fit the bill. I'm not a fan of "circular" water motion.

Cheers
Steve

Would you at least use 1 of the 4 sponges to trap debris before the powerhead?

You could, but you need to take ReefRunners advice if you do. It will need to be cleaned often so that it doesn't run into a biological filter.

Okay thanks guys. I will discard the use of the included bio-balls, ceramic rings, carbon bag (don't know what kind of carbon it is) & 3 of the 4 sponges. I'll keep the last courser sponge in the compartment right before the return flow PH is situated.
It'll have a 20lb mix of coral & gulf LR, 10lb of live sand, all from Mike @ liverocks.com
Should be here tomorrow. I'll set up the nano cube with water from my mini-reef and hopefully, it'll be a short nitrogen cycle.
I should leave the PC lights off, right?

pecan2phat said:
I should leave the PC lights off, right?
Depends on what's on the rock. If there are quite a few light dependant corals and such, I would at least try to run actinic lighting only for a few hours a day. That and any water changes should allow a fair amount of the hitchhikers to survive the cycle. If you are not able to run actinic only, there would be a large risk of unwanted algaes if you run full lighting....

Cheers
Steve

I have a 7 gal nano that has a hang on the back and one small powerhead. I removed the HOB's sponge about 6 months ago and noticed the nitrates drop in a few weeks. I was never a believer of the "adds nitrates" theory, but I think I figured it out. If particles get caught in a sponge (or bioballs) they break down and the bacteria does the cycle. The problem is that there is no anerobic zone for the nitrates to be removed. If you let the partcles settle on the sand and rock, they break down there and are handled better. I rarely do water changes (the tank is in my office) but my nitrates never go over 5ppm. Needless to say, my tank at home has not particle filtration anymore.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom