Powerhead for 10 Gallon Reef?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettababe1011

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm planning a ten gallon reef, and I'm trying to get all the necessary equipment together as I get enough money. Now I'm looking for a powerhead. I found this one:
Aquarium Water Pumps & Water Movement: Marineland Maxi-Jet PRO
I was wondering if it's worth it to look into buying that, and which size I should get for a ten gallon.
I was also looking at the Hydor Koralia 240, but it's price went up on Amazon. Which one would you guys recommend?

Honestly, I'd go with two powerheads to create a cross current. I think 240's would do the trick..... two 425's would overpower a 10g.

So that's a no on the maxi jet, right? And does anyone know where I can get the Hydor ones for cheap? Cause my budget is very limited.

I like one 240 will do the trick personally. You will have the flow from your filtration too. I am planning a 10 gallon myself and and going to go that route

22engine said:
I like one 240 will do the trick personally. You will have the flow from your filtration too. I am planning a 10 gallon myself and and going to go that route

Well that depends.. a tank this small can be ran just fine with just powerheads and no filter. I've seen quite a few beautiful filterless nanos.

So that's a no on the maxi jet, right? And does anyone know where I can get the Hydor ones for cheap? Cause my budget is very limited.

No, it's not a no.... The one you have linked shows 500gph in circulation mode, so one of those in a 10g will probably do fine. I'm just a fan of a couple/few lower powered ones instead of one big one. With one powerhead, it's a lot easier to get dead spots where detritus/old food will collect in corners, where multiple powerheads give you more flexibility for current/flow adjustments....

Phranque said:
No, it's not a no.... The one you have linked shows 500gph in circulation mode, so one of those in a 10g will probably do fine. I'm just a fan of a few lower powered ones instead of one big one. With one powerhead, it's a lot easier to get dead spots where detritus/old food will collect in corners, where multiple powerheads give you more flexibility for current/flow adjustments....

NO, don't buy those for DT pumps. They are cheaply made, very bulky, and directs flow terribly. I own two but that is just as utility pumps and mixing pumps.

Mrc8858 said:
Well that depends.. a tank this small can be ran just fine with just powerheads and no filter. I've seen quite a few beautiful filterless nanos.

Agreed wast sure how it was going to be set up. With a filter or not I mean.

Okay, I'll go with two of the Hydor koralias then. And I didn't know that I didn't need a filter! One less thing to worry about, I guess. :)

Bettababe1011 said:
Okay, I'll go with two of the Hydor koralias then. And I didn't know that I didn't need a filter! One less thing to worry about, I guess. :)

If you choose to go filter less make sure you have atleast 10-15 pounds of rock since that is gonna be your filter. Also you will be limited to one small fish in a filterless 10 gallon tank. You may wanna do a little reading on some other people's filterless tanks before trying one.

Oh, okay. I'll go with a filter then. My dad got me an aquaclear for my birthday, but it's too big, so I'll have to see if I can exchange it.

I have just a HOB filter for current in mine and it works great

I have a external filter on my tank an its doing me well :) haven't added fish to mine yet but getting there

Since the flow of the aquaclear can be adjusted, could I get away with having it and just one powerhead, on the opposite side of the tank?

Bettababe1011 said:
Since the flow of the aquaclear can be adjusted, could I get away with having it and just one powerhead, on the opposite side of the tank?

I think so.

I have a maxi jet 110 in my 10 gallon, and it's strong. Blows sand around quite a lot! I'd definitely go with 1 nano koralia. I think I may pick one up soon as well. Maxi jet powerheads are to direct, it's a stream of flow, while I heard koralias diffuse it more!

Just my opinion!

Back
Top Bottom