3 clownfish 1 tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefer Expert

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 caramel clowns they are really nice and were schooling just fine and behaving very peaceful , I recently bought then an anemone , the first night they were all In it together . Now they seemed to have singled one out ( I think it's the female ) whenever the clown gets near the anemone they other two get really aggressive . Can someone give me some info or suggestions ?

Caramel Clowns .. Yellow Carpet

Attachments

• image-2642939308.jpg
    image-2642939308.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 210
  • image-708292571.jpg
    image-708292571.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 210
they pair up and defend their anemone from all intruders....foreign and domestic. it's not a 100% definite case, but it's what you have here. you are going to have to remove the 3rd wheel, or they may kill him.

could he possible get a fourth clown n second anemone. maby if two pairs both had some territory they would be ok. or would this just make things much much worse ?

Don't chance it. They're figuring out who's going to be the dominant female and the preferred male. They will kill the other one I believe.

I've tried this before a while back when I didn't know much at all and learned the lesson the hard way. Once the third got singled out I tried to had a fourth but the other two killed both the others within the week.

I still have all three , they're all healthy . 1 of them is still singled out , I am gonna get another anemone

90 should be large enough that they can stay apart from eachother. You may still see occasional fights but nothing that should be a problem. Try to put the second nem in a place that is far away and if possible don't share a good line of sight to the other clowns. Just keep a close eye on them because as they really start to form a pair they can become more aggressive.

I have found that ricordia mushrooms grow far slower then most other mushrooms. Once they really start to settle into a tank you can expect them to split every few months. This will depend on the tank, water quality, and lights though.

Back
Top Bottom