acclimating anemones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackteck

Aquarium Advice Addict
can someone experienced with anemones tell me the correct acclimation prosedure?, my brother has a 75 gallon sw tank,its been setup probly 3 months fully cycled everything 0 except trates which are around 15 or so. hes wanting to get a sebae anemone from the lfs, he already has 2 o.clowns and some others. thanx for the help, also if you can link me in the direction of a site dealing with the acclimation of anemones that would be great also.

I would (as will the bulk of the more experienced folks here at AA) recommend that he wait at least 6 months before getting an anemone. He'll learn a lot about his tank in the next 3-6 months.

Here is the AA acclimation guide: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=18 . The all important thing at the end of any acclimation period is to test both the SG and the pH of both waters to make sure that the water is the same in both the source and destination waters.

As for the anemone, trates around 15 are a little on the high side (want them to be sustainable under 10).

Does he have sufficient lighting to handle an anemone (4-6wpg)? Most of them have strong lighting requirements. Also have him make sure that his power head intakes are covered as an unhappy (or newly introduced) anemone will migrate around the tank at will until they find the place with the perfect flow for them.

yes he has mh lighting, not exactly sure of the measurements but it rounds out (using the scale i was told) to about 7wpg around there.i'll pass on the information to him about
maybe waiting 3 more months, and thanx for the information

He better read up on anemones and clownfish before getting one. That type of clown may not host with that anemone.
And he should wait till the tank is 8 months to a year old before getting one. These are delicate creatures and need a stable mature tank.

Back
Top Bottom