Adding another Clownfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheyCallMeButch

Aquarium Advice Regular
About a week ago one of my Black and White Clownfish passed away. He seemed to have some troubles right away where as the other one has done great. I'm going to give it some time before I introduce another to the tank but I'm curious as to how I should do so? I'm not terribly familiar with Clownfish as this was my first pair and was curious on what to do.

I thought I had heard something about adding a Clownfish that is smaller than the one currently in the tank for starters.

And secondly I thought I had heard something about waiting a while to make sure that the one that is currently in the tank transitions into being a female.

Thoughts and opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It depends on the clown and how agressive they are always get one smaller and you can only but try.

Some say you can't add more clowns to a tank when you already have a pair in there as they will just fight. I already has 2 true percula clowns and added a single maroon that needed a home over 2 weeks ago and had no issues they keep themselves to themselves but it is pot luck.

I would add one sooner then later if you have the female left you ideally want it to go in and do a wiggle dance to submit to the larger one then all should be good.

When ever I add a fish I immediately feed the tank.this drops stress levels as keeps the stock busy feeding while the new fish can just slip in normally they feed strait away which keeps there stress down

you do know it's not a guarantee they will become a mated pair it's hit or miss ,
the best way of getting them to be compatible is remove the existing clown put in QT for about a week , than get the second be-sure you rearrange the rock work so there is no turf wars when you introduce the 2 clowns at the same time , less chance of aggression they may get along but they may or may not hit it off as mates .

Thanks for the tips. I know nothing is ever guaranteed in the marine world. But I know there are things that I can do to better my odds and also minimize stress on my stock.

Are ORA clowns the typical go to?

Overall, clowns are clowns...some are just more designer than others. A smaller one added into a tank where the other is established raises the odds as previously mentioned but doing it smart will raise your odds.

Clownfish change from male to females as they mature in pairs. The bigger one will be a female. Definitely put a smaller one in because if there are two females, they will fight to the death. How big is your clown right now?

I was able to add a small clown to my tank that already had 2 in it. It's doing just fine. (That being said, the female of the existing pair is probably close to 3-4 yrs old...so she may not have the fight left in her).

Back
Top Bottom