Advice for a Novice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drumscott

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a novice to the world of saltwater aquariums. My brother gave me a 36 gallon bow-front tank for my birthday and I want to set it up as a saltwater tank able to sustain corals and other reef life. I will need advice on the following items:
Lighting--t5 vs. LED, which one is better to grow a reef? What wattage will I need for a 36 gallon tank?

Filters--what sort of filter is best (reasonable priced) for a live reef?

Pumps--how strong of a water pump is needed to simulate ocean/reef currents?

and any other advice that would be handy.

Thanks!!!

I am a novice to the world of saltwater aquariums. My brother gave me a 36 gallon bow-front tank for my birthday and I want to set it up as a saltwater tank able to sustain corals and other reef life. I will need advice on the following items:

Lighting--t5 vs. LED, which one is better to grow a reef? What wattage will I need for a 36 gallon tank?

Filters--what sort of filter is best (reasonable priced) for a live reef?

Pumps--how strong of a water pump is needed to simulate ocean/reef currents?

and any other advice that would be handy.

Thanks!!!

Welcome to the hobby. It's very addicting and expensive, which don't go really well together.

For lighting, it depends on your budget and what you want to keep.

As for flow, I'd look into the Jebao pumps. In a reef, especially with SPS flow that varies is very useful.
Two WP-10s would do wonders.

With filters, a sump will be your best bet. They are an external tank where your skimmer, refugium and other equipment will go.
You plumb this by drilling the tank or using a HOB overflow.

+1 on the sump and I would put a protein skimmer and a filter sock. I would get the esshoppes overflow box. And a little quiet ones return pump. You can also must some live rock and cheto Down there.

-The Reeffantic ??

Yup would say the same don't go buying a super filter plenty of live rock is the best natural filter, you really only need a filter for mechanical filtration (spare food other rubbish) just make sure you have plenty of flow ... Also I use a small surface skimmer just to keep the water looking good but also filtering top part of tank where spare food /floating rubbish collects ... That's my advice but not all agree it's simply down to cost and personal preference

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom