Anyone have experience with a Elegance coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brenden

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got this. From what I read they are "moderately easy" Hara warned me it may be more difficult. Anyone have any pointers? Here is a pic after acclimation, it is just starting to come out.

This is one of my favorite corals. I have had three. My first one died from unknown reasons, the second from brown jelly infection. My current speciman I have had for about a year and a half and it is doing great. This used to be one of the easier to keep corals but has not done well for the last few years. No one is sure why. Collection and transport methods are one school of thought. They seem to do best when the cone is embedded in the sand bed as you have it. they prefer light to moderate flow and will not tolerate direct flow. Moderate light. Good luck.

Thanks lando. I had read all about the placement before hand so I hope it likes it new home.

I bought a sick one from a reefer selling off his tank and have been trying to nurse it back for almost a year. It looks great for a few months and then goes through a few weeks of looking bad. the tenticles get real small and it takes a while for them to grow back. Feeding it meaty foods is a must from what I have read.
good luck...

What sort of light levels are we talking about? I only have fluros (2x35w - 1 actinic, 1 white) and am looking, if possible, for any very low light corals.

My elegance is incredible...my favorite. It's grown to the size of a basketball when expanded. This is my third one. I have mine down in the sand (like in Nature). They are sensitiv to injury and infection. Avoid having the coral in contact with anything else. They don't do well if other corals can sting them. Give it room to grow and avoid moving it. mine has quadrupled in size since i got it. I don't feed it, but have it under 4 400W MH lamps. It's down in the sand, 36 inches from surface.

Good luck.

thats a LOT of light compared to what i am after.. u got pics of your tank?

i'll take some pix tonight and post em. I'm not saying you need that much light. Don't forget, my tank is deep. Looks like you placed your photo well according to your photo.

mfrei64: Wow, Elk Grove CA, I went to JR HIGH there....we wont mention how many years ago. Just seeing the place name brought back some cool memories.

(Sorry Brenden for the minor thread detour)

Yes passing through the memories of years gone by is certainly an enjoyable past time. Makes you desire the way and livestyle of the past for so many reasons compared against the world today.

Sorry, I wont deviate again.

Here's some pix.....elegance is not quite expanded all the way, but still looks pretty good.
For perspective, tank is 36 inches high, blue tang about 4 inches

Attachments

• e1.jpg
    e1.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 38
  • e2.jpg
    e2.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 36
  • t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 41
Cool....elk grove has changed quite a bit in the past decade.

When I moved here, 6 years ago, 58 thousand people...now 120 thousand....it's the second fastest growing place in the us.

Did the mantis shrimp come on some live rock? Or did you buy it? Has it given you any trouble in your reef?

wow....back in the Bill Cartwright days. It was a small town then....you would be shocked now. Where did you go? Kerr middle school?

Back
Top Bottom