best food for perc clowns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RocketSeason

Aquarium Advice Addict
hey gang,

I am finally getting my clowns tonight. but I am curious, I have seen alot of different choices for food for the clowns. what do they like best? what is the best for them?

thanks!
-Matt

well Formula One says it's for perculas and all clownfish. Mine sure like it. Then again, they like everything.
They get both Formula One and Two, frozen, alternating between the two. I also have formula one granuales. I give a pinch of bio blend small pellets too. I also feed mysis shrimp, as I have a six line wrasse.

A variety in the diet, choosing appropriate foods, will keep your fish happy and healthy.

The ultimate book on clowns ... (and now I can't remember the name, doh!) says that Formula One Frozen was developed for Clowns. Mine however, like it some days not others.

They are Ominivores, so I try to vary the diet everyday, Formula One Frozen, Formula Two Flake, Cyclop-eeze, Marine Pellets, Mysis Shrimp, [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym] Brine shrimp, Zooplankton ...

And twice a day max. Clowns ALWAYS act hungry ... don't let 'em fool ya :wink:

I am excited about getting mine!!! I have had my tank up since APRIL with NO FISH! so I am chomping at the bit!

Ok, so I got the formula one frozen stuff. And Like an IDIOT i put a whole cube in. So now I have two fat clowns.

guess I wont be feeding them for a while!!!

ROTFLMAO. :lol:
Bet they liked that. If they are in qt, you may want to siphon out the extra and watch the ammonia.

LOL!

That's great, at least they love you now! If you can, like was said, I'd recommend siphoning out extra, if it hasn't already dispersed into a bazillion microscopic pieces. I go with the Formula flake food and vary it with the mysis shrimp, both my Royal Gramma and clown go crazy over the shrimp,

Enjoy!

matt

just plain old brine shrimp is supposed to be excellent for them too, my little piggy clown loves the stuff... but he also tries to eat my hand when i put it in the tank... maybe hes not so picky... hmm...

I feed my clowns formula two frozen tonight and they didn't seem to care to much for it. (kept spitting it out.) Is this normal behavoir? I guess like me they prefer steak to salad! :D

also, I am going to set up a schedule for them.
Fridays and tuesdays will be veggie night, and Mondays, Wednesdays, thursdays, saturdays, and sundays will be meat night.

Is this cool? or should I increase the amount of veggies they get?

RocketSeason, they spit it out if it's too big for them. Are yours bitty? Mine are under 2" and I have to chop the frozen food up very small for them. They can't even eat the small Formula pellets. If you've only got the two fish, here's my tip: use a carrot peeler to scrape off a little bit of the cube; the edge of the peeler will mash it smaller if you need to. No need to defrost that way.

I only feed them part of the cube a day.

I chop it into very fine chunks and "defrost" in a cup of water taken from the tank. They do fine with the size, they just inhale a portion of it and then spit most of it back out.

Back
Top Bottom