Best power head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just got two Hydor Koralia 750s for my 36 and it has really good circulation and the are completely quiet

Hydor koralias seem to be one of the better ones for the price. They are quiet and stick to the glass like no other.

I went with the Koralia 425. The suction mechanism is supposedly the best out there and You wouldn't even be able to tell it was on without seeing the current it produces. ( it's silent) I'm impressed.

Good choice let me tell you trying to pull it off the move it can be challenging. They don't want you taking it off the suction cups are good and the magnet is great.

Fishsticks said:
I would have gotten a 750 but the guy at my LFS told me the 425 was perfect for a 30 gal tank

I have a 550 and a 240 nano to get some cross current going on in my 28 gallon I'd check into amazon as they are much cheaper there.

Eco tec not worth the money it's nice to only have a head in the tank but not at that rip off price !! The korillas are awsome but the way they rate the gph is confusing a 750 is 10 times weaker than my 800gph return pump I should have gotten the 1150 at least they rate a circulation pump different than a water pump

Fishsticks, a good rule that I heard, that seems to have treated me well is:

FOWLR - 10-20x tank size / hour
Reef - 30-50 or 60x tank size / hour

FOWLR - 30 gallons x 10-20 = 300- 600gph of flow
Reef - 30 gallons x 50-60 = 1500 - 1800 gph of flow

I personally have a 54 gallon corner reef. I started with (2) Koralia 750's, then added a third, and then a forth brining my total to 3000 gph + my return pump. Using the 4th one, simply due to the placement in the tank, it made it difficult to get good flow - it actually reduced my current flow in the tank.

For a fish only tank, you should be fine, though I will say that getting nice "Random" flow in the tank is much easier with multiple powerheads. The more flow the better IMO.

Vortechs are MUCH better than koralias. Are they worth the money? That's up to the user. I would not go as far as saying a koralia is awesome unless there was nothing to match it. They are matched by many manufacturers. Not a big deal, but an affordable solution. You asked what is the best. I gave you the correct answer.

I agree with Mr. X as for the best powerhead. As far as I know, they are the only stand-alone programmable powerheads, without using a reef keeper or apex...

I hope they are worth it as I have two of the MP10's shipping to me on Monday. I'm moving up from the koralias in my tank.

Thanks mr. X, I believe that one probably is the best. But for the money I think the Koralia was the best buy. I just can see myself spending more money on a power head than I did on my new lights.

Don't forget the vortecs are non directional. They can only be flat on the wall so if you have a show tank like me they can only be on the back wall facing forward with the korillas you can put them on a angle so they work best for me vortec has to correct there design and I would buy 2 mp60 today the cost is high but for me it's a government write off for my business .. Who wants to see a wire on the outside of the tank

Back
Top Bottom