Click.....click

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris182

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys

Wonder if any of you can help me. Every now and then in my tank I hear a click noise. Sounds like it is coming from inside the tank, almost like a stone hitting a window.

Do any of you know what this might be? It has started happening after I got my green star polyp, so I'm thinking something has hitched a ride into my tank. Any ideas what it could be? I have seen this small orange looking thing darting about, though no idea what it is as I can hardy see it.

slow clicks may be a pistol shrimp. fast clicks may be a mantis shrimp. Sounds like you have a hitchhiker.

Oh right. It is a slow click. happens like once every ten minutes or so. It happens mainly at night though does happen when lights are on every now and then

Excellent :) they are no threat to my other shrimps, crab, coral, hermits etc?

Cool, this little thing I see is fast....very fast but I did manage to sneak a quick peek ad it would appear it has a large claw like thing, but only one claw by the looks of it??? Again it was fast so I only seen it for a split second but does that sound like one? It's probably a very small one....unless they are small anyway?

yup. They have one big claw. That's how they make that clicking sound. They typically stay small, not much more than 2 inches. If it hitchhiked in, i'd expect it to be a little guy.

Cool. Is it ever likely to venture out in the day? Or does it mostly hide away?

That is so cool :D I take it they vary in colour then? I'm not getting any fish Until I return from Malta back to the uk in about 6 weeks time, but will def look into it then

how fast would the click be for someone to consider it a mantis shrimp. I hear clicks sometimes, but it'll be like 4-6 clicks. I heard it last night around 2 am and again today around 6 PM. it'll be like 4-6 clicks within 15-20 seconds and then silence

I know I've seen other threads on here about pistols killing other shrimp and fish.

Pistols can be a threat to other shrimp/ inverts..I would keep a close eye on your livestock. Maybe try to catch him and setup a species only tank and pair him with a goby ?

Oh dear, doesn't look too promising does it lol. I'll keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom