Copperband Butterfly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anybody had success with a copperband butterfly or any butterflies besides pyramid in a reef tank with LPS? I would like to get one but I don't want it nipping my coral. Im guessing it is just luck of the draw. This may be a good one for Lando to comment on.
The other option I'm looking into is a flame angelfish, I don't know which one I would have a better chance with. I'd like to hear anybody elses experiences with either of these fish. Thank you.

I have a copperband in my reef (my second one) with no issues. It leaves all of my sensile and mobile inverts alone but does take care of any feather dusters and fan worms in short order. The bigger challenge is finding a copperband that will survive longterm in a tank.

lando said:
The bigger challenge is finding a copperband that will survive longterm in a tank.
Do you have any suggestion to help them survive? I am going to pick one up that was special ordered for me tonight....?

Both the butterfly and the angel will be a gamble. The bad part will be getting them out should they go bad. You will almost have to tear the tank apart to get them. My two angels went bad after 4 yrs and it was hard to catch them. That`s why if there`s a chance I`m not going to take it.

Do you have any suggestion to help them survive?
IME, the abundance of LR and pods is essential. They do graze on small crustations and use their long narrow snout to pick at LR. Sourcing can also make a difference. Aussie animals tend to be hardier then the Indio species. This could very well be a product of collection method. Aside from that, it the ussual....make sure you buy a healthy animal that is eating well and has been at the LFS for at least a couple of weeks. Buy some of the food that the LFS is feeding and slowly make the transition to your normal diet

Cool, thanks! I didn't have the luxury of waiting a few weeks (as they usually let me do) so I will keep an eye on him and see how it does. This one was $21 for a medium sized one so I am guessing (by the price) that it is of the Indo area.
I am in the process of bringing this tank up and running, I have had it cycled since Feb and been feeding the tank to keep the bacteria alive. This is the 1st fish and I have him acclimating as we speak. So far, he looks to be in decent shape, no heavy breathing or anything like that. I had to tilt the bucket to give him some swimming room.
Thanks again for the advice!!!

Back
Top Bottom