Coraline?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hara

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am familiar with cyano, this is not cyano as it is encrusting the rock.

It is a beautiful midnight purple color. almost velvety looking. It is spreading rather rapidly, would this be a different type of coraline?

No, I'm unsure what type it is, but coralline is calcerous and doesn't look velvety. It is also difficult to scrape off the rocks. I had some identical to the way you descripe and it came off fairly easily with a toothbrush and a little elbow grease. Still don't know what it is, but it wasn't coralline.

When it grows how does it grow?

Coraline usually starts as a speck on the glass (thats where you notice it growing easiets) and then it grows out from there getting larger and larger diamater.

Coraline usually starts as a speck on the glass (thats where you notice it growing easiets) and then it grows out from there getting larger and larger diamater.

Mine has never had a chance to land on the glass as I scrape every day. It starts as a speck on the rock and then grows out. It is encrusted. A few places have like pinholes in them.

Hara - there is a type of coralline which is a very dark red (Maroon Coralline) - the species is Peyssonnelia sp. We have some in our tank, and although it is very hard (like normal coralline), it does have a velvet-like appearance.

Here's some info. on it from John Rice's gallery - is this it?

Maroon Coralline (Peyssonnelia sp.)

HTH,

a photo is the best, but you decribed it ok to me. it is a type of cynao bact. i can't remember the name that my lfs told me. poss high phos/silica. you can pick it up if it gets thick enough. my recemendation is to turn up your skimming to the max and check your posh/silica level. i got rid of mine in 1 week. in just 2 days it should start getting brown. 8)

If it is cyano...it is a new one on me. This is fuzzy, and I don't mean stringy, like it is holding air bubbles or is imply stringing out, it is fuzzy. it looks like the fuz you might see on a wine stained teddy bear :?

Reeflady,
It does look very much like that, the only difference is that it would be more an exact purple, like a seeded grape or the color purple (true purple)in a box of crayons :)

it looks like the same stuff i had. does it have a leather feel on top. the insides should be soft.

I don't know...I'd have to ask the tooth brsh I scrubbed it off with. I wasn't letting it stay, it was growing in the middle of some GSP.

here is a picture of the stuff....also, the tiny pink specs, they are popping up all over, but they are not flat, they are little mounds.

Back
Top Bottom