Cyano...chem additives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been quietly fighting cyano for months now. Every week, I vacuum it off the sand and wherever else it grows...but it always returns.

Things I have under control:

Phosphate: I had barely measurable phosphate, but used some Rowa-phos. Now I can't detect anything.
RO/DI water:
Cut back on feeding: Usually one small feeding every 2 days!
Nitrate: Have never been able to detect any nitrate in the system
Skimmer: Maybe not the best skimmer in the world, but I have to clean it out every week...
Kalk: Dosed with meter 24/7. CA/Alk levels very stable.

Lighting: My MH is over 1 year old. My next step is to replace it and see what happens.

So I'm nearly all the way to chemical additives of some kind. Has anyone successfully used a chemical additive to beat cyano? I've never added anykind of chemical to my system and it worries me....but I'm almost out of options.

Chemi-Clean worked really well for me but this just kills the cyno doesnt keep it from coming back from my expierence.

I used Chemi-Clean also. With great results the next day or two. but then about 2 weeks later it came back. then i just added a little more and then did a huge water change. and wa-la. it was gone

in the past i used phosguard and it worked no problem but its been gettin to me latley my lights are new so its not that but a long day might be part of it 12-13h of light per day one tank has a little nitrate problem and the other is great i feed mostly frozen krill and shrimp in one and mysis shrimp in the other
i have a 3rd tank was a 20g but moved up to a 50g never a spot of red 1 or 2 hours less light per day but a lot less food goes in thier just a redspotted hermit to feed even though he makes a mess
makes me believe i over feed to much but thier so dang hungry pluss the wife beakin they want more dont starve them dont help

I had a really bad Cyano problem a while back. I used Seachem's De-Nitrate. It worked wonders.

I have used Chemi-Clean with great success. As mentioned, finding the source of the problem is the key. Perhaps adding more flow would help.

Back
Top Bottom