Cycle by hagen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddm_aet

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does this product do anything? What I found was that it contains a different strand of bacteria then what naturally establishes in our tanks.
Is this true and is it just a waste of money.
My lfs sells it for 60 dollars for a large bottle to people.

Wow, $60? My advice would be to cycle your tank the traditional way. I know, it's tough to wait when you want to add fish, we have all been there. As many here say "nothing good comes quickly in this hobby." Take your time, do it right, and research while your tank cycles. You will have less issues and headaches in the future, which means more time to enjoy your aquarium.

AndyH5512 said:
Wow, $60? My advice would be to cycle your tank the traditional way. I know, it's tough to wait when you want to add fish, we have all been there. As many here say "nothing good comes quickly in this hobby." Take your time, do it right, and research while your tank cycles. You will have less issues and headaches in the future, which means more time to enjoy your aquarium.

ditto

I've been in the hobby for 8 years now, I already have many tanks established.

I was asking what cycle by hagen does?
Or if its benefical at all?
Whats in it?

What i heard was its a completly different strand of bacteria that we have in our established tanks and the product is not worth buying.

Cycle is a super-concentrated formula for freshwater and saltwater aquariums used to keep you fish healthy. It is an all-natural product that is not harmful to plants, animals or humans. It can be use when setting up a new aquarium, adding new fish and after using medication. It releases massive amounts of beneficial bacterial strains into the aquarium. Each dose works to reduce dangerous ammonia and nitrate levels in the aquarium.Note: When introduced to water, it will initially appear cloudy and emit a slight odor. This needs to be refrigerated after opening. This product treats 1880 gallons.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1
$11.99 for a 16z bottle.
Looks like it is to shorten the cycle or at least ease the pain for fish, if used to cycle the tank. Also, looks like it is for health.
If you have had success in the last 8 years, I would stick with what you know. Some one that has used this might more.....

PS. I couldn't find what was in it....

roka64 said:
If you have had success in the last 8 years, I would stick with what you know.
(y) Bacteria need nh3 & oxygen to survive and neither is going to be in a bottle. Why would you want to waste money on any product that nature will provide for free?

I tried this when starting up my 75g.

Had no effect whatsoever, except to make the water look like crap.

Still took 6 weeks to cycle.

so basically everybodies opinion is that this product is useless, and not worth buying?

That's my take - I used it precisely as directed, with absolutely no results.

Sorry for Bringing back a thread this old. I figured I'd at least give it a shot, If I don't see results in a couple days (i.e nitrites) I'm going to have to find a dead shrimp or something. They wouldnt give me gravel or anything from their tanks at the LFS, I guess it's policy so they sell more fish:-/....... Just added some right now

Ammo 3 PPM
Nitrite 0 PPM

Nitrite eating bacteria take a long time to grow compared to ammonia eaters. Adding a dead shrimp will just increase the ammonia levels. That may be useful, but as you have ammonia already it is just a waiting game. This is a saltwater tank right? Get some live rock. The cured stuff will cost more but will kick that cycle into overdrive.

It's actually a Freshwater tank, sorry to mislead you all as this is the saltwater forum. I searched the forums for reviews on this product and this was all I could find. I added pure ammonia myself. I wish I could just add some live rock lol :).

Back
Top Bottom