Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We went snorkeling yesterday at this spot that we stumbled across last year and it was AWESOME ., I never thought I'd find a place that would rival two step on the big island but this can be it.., lots of eye candy.., plenty of humuhumu's to keep me happy., lots of coral etc.. We all decided we'll go back again tommow... Having a blast ., Dary

Dary421 said:
We went snorkeling yesterday at this spot that we stumbled across last year and it was AWESOME ., I never thought I'd find a place that would rival two step on the big island but this can be it.., lots of eye candy.., plenty of humuhumu's to keep me happy., lots of coral etc.. We all decided we'll go back again tommow... Having a blast ., Dary

Awesome Dary have a cold one for me buddy

Enjoy your trip I am enjoying the updates

Last nights sunset..., yes it's brutal but someone's gotta be here to watch em... Only a couple more days to go. :-(

Attachments

• image-3117415169.jpg
    image-3117415169.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 139
Last nights sunset..., yes it's brutal but someone's gotta be here to watch em... Only a couple more days to go. :-(

That is stunning!

By the way, nice mushrooms everyone! (I am a little late joining this thread, LOL)

Well,..we're back from our vacation in Maui and it was a well deserved time to relax and unwind,.. As I stated earlier,the new snorkeling area we tried was awesome,..i've included a few pics here to give you an idea of What we saw,.. Please keep in mind that the water was soooo much clearer that the photos indicate... As you can probably see I came across a pair of blue star jacks that actually seemed preoccupied with each other and allowed me to take a few pictures of em... You talk about a lighting bolt of color ,.. What a beautiful fish if only you had a tank that could hold one.
I originally decided that I wanted my new 135 gal tank to go in the exact spot that my 75 gal now resides in, but after reviewing the whole situation and the transfer from one tank to the other and the problems ( mess ) that that might incur ,I have decided to located the new tank directly across the room from the old tank,...this will require moving the whole furniture setup etc but in the long run the weekly maintenance issues will be easier from that location.
However,...there always seems to be a " however"... The stand I previously made for this tank was very level and straight ,BUT,..the floor slope about 3/4" in 7 feet ( cement slab ) in that particular location,...soooooooooo, off I go again to home depot to purchase more lumber to try and rebuild it's frame work to match the slope of the floor to get everything level and strong,....long story short the tank has been plumbed with all it's needed fixtures, approx 175#'s of sand has been added and it's currently housing about a half full tank of water,...more water is being made as we speak .
I think I'll just fill this whole thing up and start running everything as sort of a shake down cruise ,maybe ( I'm not too sure of this ) I'll have my diatom outbreak on all the new surfaces and will just let that burn itself out before I do the transfer from one tank to the other .
Overall,..things are starting to take shape.....but there's still plenty of more work that lies ahead

Attachments

• image-1343288438.jpg
    image-1343288438.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 171
  • image-2554698015.jpg
    image-2554698015.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 170
  • image-2527192780.jpg
    image-2527192780.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 150
  • image-3593773293.jpg
    image-3593773293.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 129
  • image-1360611649.jpg
    image-1360611649.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 134
  • image-950578565.jpg
    image-950578565.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 154
  • image-1667972099.jpg
    image-1667972099.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 157
  • image-1420918666.jpg
    image-1420918666.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 132
  • image-3775749222.jpg
    image-3775749222.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Thank you everyone., it's nice to be back :)-/) ... Yesterday was pretty much dedicated to setting up the sump for the new tank., first I had to wrestle out my red sea 1800 protein skimmer from the old tank setup., clean it up and try to figure out just how to set it up in my new system, I think it'll work just fine as I have it setup now.
I replace said taken away protein skimmer with my trusty ol' eshops HOB skimmer ( truly a totally underrated skimmer for the money) for my up and running 75 gal tank.
I've got the new tank about 98% filled up right now, just below the built in overflow., I'm waiting on some glue to dry before adding the additional water and firing the whole system off for a test run.
Kind of a nervous and exciting time too.., hang on to your hats this sucker is about to start .
Included a couple of crummy pictures to show you what's up... Wish me luck !!!

Attachments

• image-2506586420.jpg
    image-2506586420.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 145
  • image-996083583.jpg
    image-996083583.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 161
  • image-2359155248.jpg
    image-2359155248.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 137
I fired up everything yesterday and as if I actually knew what I was doing ,everything worked out like it was drawn out to do,... Protein skimmer worked like a charm , the overflow worked beautifully , the Tunze ATO was the only thing that seemed to have a hiccup but that too was soon fixed,...so far it's been working for about 24 hours now and no leaks or errors...I'm impressed!!! ... I thinking that next week I'll start the transfer of rocks and corals from one tank to the other,...hopefully,..all will go smoothly.

Since this seems to be the mushroom thread (welcome back Daryl) I have a mushroom question.
My reef is covered with hundreds of mushrooms in at least 4 different color morphs. Almost all exposed rock is covered.
My LPS and SPS corals all project above the mushroom carpet and seem unaffected. But I have a colt coral (deceased) and a Kenya tree coral (still hanging on after an explosive growth spurt) that grow amongst the mushrooms. The colt died in just a few days after being the size of a basketball and I have a successful Kenya tree doing a major squeeze down after growing great. What do the mushrooms get along with? I have anthellia growing great among the mushrooms. As always, water parameters are rock solid and the SPS corals are visibly growing.

Gregcoyote said:
Since this seems to be the mushroom thread (welcome back Daryl) I have a mushroom question.
My reef is covered with hundreds of mushrooms in at least 4 different color morphs. Almost all exposed rock is covered.
My LPS and SPS corals all project above the mushroom carpet and seem unaffected. But I have a colt coral (deceased) and a Kenya tree coral (still hanging on after an explosive growth spurt) that grow amongst the mushrooms. The colt died in just a few days after being the size of a basketball and I have a successful Kenya tree doing a major squeeze down after growing great. What do the mushrooms get along with? I have anthellia growing great among the mushrooms. As always, water parameters are rock solid and the SPS corals are visibly growing.

Whoa.... Greg, you and mike seem to be the pro's in the mushroom fields,..I'm just learning the trade as fast as I can, but I cannot imagine that the mushrooms had anything to do with the dying off of those corals ,... There's gotta be something else going on there,...especially if there was a sudden die off,... You might wanna pm mike , maybe he has an idea.... I wish you luck Greg ,..as always, we all learn things together good or bad...,got my fingers crossed.

Not a big deal, just wondering about mushrooms and their ability to play nice. Just because I can grow them doesn't mean I know anything!

Not a big deal, just wondering about mushrooms and their ability to play nice. Just because I can grow them doesn't mean I know anything!

I have the problem with daughters. Just because I can grow them doesn't mean I know anything about them. hehehehe

I don't have any hairy mushrooms, mine are all smooth. I have never seen them eat anything, but there are so many, it's possible.

They will burn SPS corals if they touch them, but don't seem to harm any of my other softies. My best guess with my Kenya tree is that my huge colony of waving hand coral is poisoning it. Did a water change last night but no improvements. Might change the carbon out again tonight.

Back
Top Bottom