Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ausfish said:
Would love to see pictures! ;)

Not the best pictures in the world .., the mushrooms are in the middle section of my tank where very little light gets in ( see pics I posted of tank a post or two back ) .. But you'll kinda get an idea., color bleached of course due to lighting and they are not fully opened yet., nice healthy colony though....... Hey , What'da you know .., we're back to talking about mushrooms again!!!

Attachments

• image-4175635477.jpg
    image-4175635477.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 112
  • image-107496339.jpg
    image-107496339.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 132
  • image-3532901423.jpg
    image-3532901423.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 106
  • image-2453349445.jpg
    image-2453349445.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 138
Mushroom discussions need mushroom pictures.

Runaway growth. I counted the shrooms in one square foot and approximated there are almost 1000 of them. This is 15 years since the first ones were added. Every rock surface that doesn't have a competing coral established already is covered in shrooms.

Attachments

• image-3069254827.jpg
    image-3069254827.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 144
  • image-3901238432.jpg
    image-3901238432.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 115
Greg.,Once again I am humbled by your mushroom field... However.., we've only just begun !!! .... Looks wonderful!!

Far out, that's amazing! But I'm pleased to report, I have some youngsters too! Is there a guide to ideal mushroom growing conditions somewhere?

Ausfish said:
Far out, that's amazing! But I'm pleased to report, I have some youngsters too! Is there a guide to ideal mushroom growing conditions somewhere?

I'm sure there is but where it is, I don't know,...usually mushrooms are pretty easy to grow,...just place them at a lower level in your tank,without too much water flow ( if they start flapping their wings like a stingray on crack then the water flow is too high there )... Usually they like a little darker less illuminated area in the tank,...other than that ,... They should be good to go,...no feeding necessary ,they'll get what they need from your lighting and from your water.

Yep, just good water conditions, proper lighting and moderate flow. Nothing that thousands of dollars of equipment can't supply! LOL
But I have seen mini reefs full of mushrooms too.

My fire shrimp has been missing for over 3 months...he appeared for 60 seconds this evening, twice the size I saw him last and he was the brightest color of red I have seen. Shows how much activity happens on the back side of the reef in the dark holes.

Dary the colony looks really great. I've got one hairy, and one red, and a few colors of ricordias, but I am excited to get more!

Yep, just good water conditions, proper lighting and moderate flow. Nothing that thousands of dollars of equipment can't supply! LOL
But I have seen mini reefs full of mushrooms too.

My fire shrimp has been missing for over 3 months...he appeared for 60 seconds this evening, twice the size I saw him last and he was the brightest color of red I have seen. Shows how much activity happens on the back side of the reef in the dark holes.

Good to hear he is still kicking. I would be seriously bummed if my fire shrimp went missing. I know where he is at all tiimes. LOL He stays between two rocks at the end of the tank so I can always look in and check on him. When I feed the thank though, he comes out and cruses the rocks and sand bed for a bit which is always fun to watch.

TLTGF said:
Dary the colony looks really great. I've got one hairy, and one red, and a few colors of ricordias, but I am excited to get more!

I think the ricordea's are my favorites., kinda look like something you'd find stuck to the side of an alien space ship.., but they're all pretty cool and interesting.. I think some more ricordeas are in my very near future.., good luck on your mushroom patch .

Woah! I didn't know you could make a field of shrooms like that?! I thought the we're aqressive and killed other mushrooms?

SleepsWithFish said:
Woah! I didn't know you could make a field of shrooms like that?! I thought the we're aqressive and killed other mushrooms?

Nope, they all get along together. They tend to segregate by colors though. The right side of my reef is dominated by red shrooms, while the left side is almost all blue shrooms. In the middle they tend to mix together a bit more.

My SPS do not want to be physically touched by them, my softies and LPS don't seem to give a darn about them as they grow right up to the base of these corals. My soft corals are all touching mushrooms and don't seem to be having any issues.

Greg, do you know of a good online source other than Live Aquaria for identifing corals? I want to figure out what all I have and learn a bit more before I continue getting frags.

Ricksreef said:
Like your rock work.Do you think you will have to get one more light fixture,or is it just the pictures that show a gap in light density in the middle?

Rick,..I went ahead and ordered another stark led fixture the other day, so hopefully they'll ship it out fast and I'll illuminated that gap in the tank,...I think tomorrow I'll drop by the lfs after work and pickup another frag or two and check on some more mushrooms,..everything looking good so far!!!

I don't think you'll regret it.That way you can adjust the other two fixtures so your whole tank will pop.Make sure you show us some pictures when you get the new fixture up.

rdnelson99 said:
You are a product of the 60s aren't you. LOL :hide:

Lol., Yes I am,... But,...mushrooms were never on the menu back then,....But now that I have caught the reef bug,.mushrooms have suddenly become very intriguing ( along with everything else in the hobby.)

Ricksreef said:
I don't think you'll regret it.That way you can adjust the other two fixtures so your whole tank will pop.Make sure you show us some pictures when you get the new fixture up.

Yep I'm sure it'll make a huge difference ,...can't wait,.. Like being a kid again and waiting for Xmas .

Back
Top Bottom