Dary's tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dary421 said:
Yeah,...this is going to be one big mess for sure,.... I'm not looking forwards to doing the swap over nor any new diatom blooms that'll come from it either ,..not to mention setting up a new sump,ATO etc.... I better have plenty of beer in the refrigerator that day!!!!

So what your saying is I might have to come down and give you a hand (drinking beer that is lol)

It's going to be so much easier than starting from scratch. You'll have all that new glorious room to grow stuff in. My wife tells me I am insane, but I want a 1000 gallon someday.

ryan-peddle said:
So what your saying is I might have to come down and give you a hand (drinking beer that is lol)

My brother al is flying in from Florida right about that time and between the two of us we could put a small liquor store outa business ,... But there's always a cold one standing by Ryan

Gregcoyote said:
It's going to be so much easier than starting from scratch. You'll have all that new glorious room to grow stuff in. My wife tells me I am insane, but I want a 1000 gallon someday.

I hope it all goes together easily ,..but nothing ever does,...I'm sure once this is up and running smoothly I'd wish I would have bought something bigger,..but it'll have to hold me for awhile... Kinda hate to even do this right now because my 75 gal is looking super since the LED's ,...oh well.... I got about a month to plan this whole thing out and to build up the nerve to do it.

My brother al is flying in from Florida right about that time and between the two of us we could put a small liquor store outa business ,... But there's always a cold one standing by Ryan

I could help out with that :)

Btw what do you do about diatom blooms? And did you see somewhere I posted that I found a red mushroom in my tank. Can't get a picture cause I can't squeeze behind the tank:) I only left 8" and I'm not that skinny. Wish I left it out 12" now cause I can squeeze in then. LOL

Can you go to my build and see if you can make any suggestions on my pH issue please?

Still looking forward to pictures, sump and all.:)

Buffy said:
I could help out with that :)

Btw what do you do about diatom blooms? And did you see somewhere I posted that I found a red mushroom in my tank. Can't get a picture cause I can't squeeze behind the tank:) I only left 8" and I'm not that skinny. Wish I left it out 12" now cause I can squeeze in then. LOL

Can you go to my build and see if you can make any suggestions on my pH issue please?

Still looking forward to pictures, sump and all.:)

The diatoms are going to come with the new setup like it or not,.... they'll hang out for a week or two and eventually will use up all their nutritions and will fade away,...nothing much you can do about it,. Just don't invite anyone over to see your new setup until they disappear.
This will try my nerves for sure but it's going to happen so I'll try and make the best if it,.... They'll be alot of beer drinking going on at Dary's during that week...of course, as with Ryan there's always a tall frosty one waiting for you too

ryan-peddle said:
Getting the nerve up is the worst part once you get your arms wet it gets a little easier for me anyway

Yeah,..I know what you mean,..you wake up one morning and walk over to the tank and kinda look at it thinking,,.do I really wanna do this???... Then you say the heck with it and start unplugging your power heads , etc,...well,.. For the next few hours you'll be moving like a madman trying to keep up with whats ahead of you.... But ,I'm sure in the long run it'll be a wonderful adventure and well worth it...but it's that first day thats's really going to suck.

Dary421 said:
Yeah,..I know what you mean,..you wake up one morning and walk over to the tank and kinda look at it thinking,,.do I really wanna do this???... Then you say the heck with it and start unplugging your power heads , etc,...well,.. For the next few hours you'll be moving like a madman trying to keep up with whats ahead of you.... But ,I'm sure in the long run it'll be a wonderful adventure and well worth it...but it's that first day thats's really going to suck.

Exactly and then you start thinking too hard during the process and get lost standing for an hour looking at the tanks thinking what next?...lol

But it is fun besides worrying about fish and coral and all that stuff

ryan-peddle said:
Exactly and then you start thinking too hard during the process and get lost standing for an hour looking at the tanks thinking what next?...lol

But it is fun besides worrying about fish and coral and all that stuff

Ryan.., I think this is what the beer's for !!!
(.. And thankyou)

Well,..minor little update here.... Two and a half weeks ago my tank was 100% guaranteed to here the following wednesday,...well Wednesday came and gone,... I called the lfs for my tanks status,... Opps,... It'll be here Saturday late afternoon for sure,... Sunday I drive down there and they state that it may have been delivered to the main whale house but it'll be here on Monday ( labor day for sure..) Labor day came and went ,..so I expected the tank to show up on their regular delivery day ( Wednesday )... so here it is Thursday and no word yet,... So I called them and asked to speak to the mgr who I had originally placed the order with,.... The clerk who answered stated that it was totally his fault that he did not follow up on the order ,...he said.." we do not operate like this,..but I assure you it was 100% my fault,...." I told him that it was really getting to the point that I was getting totally po about being told that it would be " 100% guaranteed " and not having it show up,...after all,..I've got a $500 deposit on this tank already,...and I'm still no closer to the tank than I was two weeks or so ago,... He ". 100 % guaranteed " that it would be here " next" Wednesday,....it takes a tremendous amount of Crap to make me come unglued,...but I'm coming close,...for the sake of humanity I hope the tank comes in on Wednesday !!!!!
.... This also might be a good time to ask them about a screwed over price on a new return pump....

Last edited:
I deal with this stuff every day. Take a deep breath and set out the goals they have to meet in order for you to feel like paying them. Share those goals with them and hold them to task. Squeaky wheel gets greased, unfortunately. Time to squeak. Calm, low tones works better than any excitement. They want your money, you want a tank. Should work out.
Most of these aquarium guys seem to be pretty fly by the seat of your pants types, even the bigger ones.

Gregcoyote said:
I deal with this stuff every day. Take a deep breath and set out the goals they have to meet in order for you to feel like paying them. Share those goals with them and hold them to task. Squeaky wheel gets greased, unfortunately. Time to squeak. Calm, low tones works better than any excitement. They want your money, you want a tank. Should work out.
Most of these aquarium guys seem to be pretty fly by the seat of your pants types, even the bigger ones.

I know,..it's just getting really really frustrating....ooooosh.....( sound of me taking a deep breath )

I had my tank custom made many years ago. The front piece of acrylic has two bends in it to make the front three sided. They bent the plastic over red hot pipes. Took forever, but in the end it was worth it. I remember wondering if I hadn't just wasted my money.

ryan-peddle said:
Once that new tank is sitting in you living room all will be forgotten cause that's when the real work starts :)

Lol... Yeah ., But it's getting the tank there In the first place that's wearing me a little thin...quite a blackout we had yesterday., like Calif and into Arizona ...( 6-8 hours + - ) Thank god I bought my generator !!! .. Just got to remember to buy more gas next time !!! :- / Everything tank wise is a- ok....

Gregcoyote said:
I had my tank custom made many years ago. The front piece of acrylic has two bends in it to make the front three sided. They bent the plastic over red hot pipes. Took forever, but in the end it was worth it. I remember wondering if I hadn't just wasted my money.

Thanks Greg....., I know it'll be fine in the long run..,thanks for the pep talk

Latest update re.my new tank,...once again ,. My 100% guaranteed tank delivery on Wednesday passed without fanfare,...I called the aquarium shop and " Ken" ( the guy who screwed up in the first place). Told me that they did everything right this week but the tank co. representative called and wanted to talk the the store's mgr about the 135 ,...apparently , the tank people somehow screwed up on their end of he deal,.... Mike the lfs mgr told them that his customer has been screwed with on this whole deal from the start and that I should have had the tank three weeks ago,..the screw up is partially from the lfs and partially the tank manufacturer,... Mike told me that according to the tank manufacturer the tank will be there "next Wednesday" with a discount ,...mike told me that " he'll make me happy"...100% guarantee ,it'll be here next Wednesday!!!! ...we'll see....I think I need some tranquilizers !!!!
P.s. After re thinking the whole sump thing,..I ordered a sump that'll handle a tank to 225 gals,..and a mag 12 for my return pump,..hopefully everything will be here by the time I leave for Hawaii ( 10 days),,, we'll keep you posted

Last edited:
ryan-peddle said:
Awesome Dary gotta love discounts solid plan on the sump too I will keep my fingers crossed it's coming Wednesday good luck

Thanks Ryan,...but another week or so of this and mild mannered Dary is going to explode !!! ... Hopefully,..the "discount" will be enough to be worth the aggravation ... 5% = $50. 10% = $100...mike the mgr says whatever they take off of the top ,he's giving it to me,...with my luck it'll be 1% ...

Back
Top Bottom