Feeding filter feeders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got a large number of oysters, clams, scallops and filter feeders in my tank. What's the best way to ensure they don't starve?

well clam under 4" you need to take out like 3 times a week and put in a bowl with tank water nd put like DT in the water. leave it in the bowl till most of the dt is gone from the water.

Or....you can cut the top off of a 2 or 3 liter coke bottle, take the funnel part and sit it down over the top of the coral. Use a feeder syringe to push the dt's into the the "quarantine" area..then screw the cap on. This will allow you to keep the coral in the tank and still direct feed it with out the DT's floating away.

Squishy

I know people recommend to feed baby clams directly but my little 4" maxima has been doing great since I got him probably 6-7 months ago. He's grow a lot, was probably 2" when i got him and now is 3"+ I feed DT's directly to my tank so everything can benefit from it.

come on out of your cave man...

Is that a shot on my age? :lol: Actually I just didn't know what dt's was. I have been using Kent marine Phytoplex and micro vert. Is this ok?

it is really good stuff and is not that $$. and it is really live. not this dead stuff that kent sells.

I was just reading a slew of articles about feeding phyto since I just got a clam...let me see if I can find the links....there are some on that link I gave above, of course that is DT's site but the articles are by R. Shimek. I think in a nutshell, DT's is live and is whole cells that are of size that most filter feeders can handle. Kent products are dead cells that may or may not be intact cells, could just be cellular debris and could clump forming particle sizes that are unusable by some inverts. Personally, I use Kent right now because my LFS stopped selling DT's :evil: But I'm going to suck it up and order some soon. I've also heard good things about Knop CoralVite F its a enriched yeast based product that is fairly cheap, and very concentrated, I will be ordering this soon too as my LFS doesn't carry it either...its hard to believe that they don't carry all this stuff yet they advertise as being the largest aquarium store in the world....

jackdp said:
I will be ordering this soon too as my LFS doesn't carry it either...its hard to believe that they don't carry all this stuff yet they advertise as being the largest aquarium store in the world....

Yeah, I totally agree, doesn't make sense to me either......but I get my DT's from the hidden reef in philly, decent store. If you want, next time I'm down there I could pick you up a bottle so you don't pay $$$ for shipping.

LOL Jamal you gonna sell blackmarket DT's out the back door at TFP? I won't tell :wink: If ya could grab me a bottle that'd be great. I'm meaning to take a road trip to philly or baltimore to get some and check out other shops but I don't think I have a day off for the next month.

Back
Top Bottom