Galaxea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JM

Aquarium Advice Freak
Looking for people that have Galaxea in their tank. I was at my LFS today and couldn't resist a nice sized green Galaxea. I have heard some stories about them damaging other corals because of there sweepers. I know they are considered very aggressive. Has anybody ever had a problem with them in their tank even when giving them plenty of space. I put mine about 5 inches away from any other corals at one end of the tank so there is nothing to the left of it but the glass.

They need 8"+. I've had one for a few years, and it will destroy anything that comes up against it. The tips of the stinging tentacles even have an effect on my flesh, makes the area a little numb.(!) Keeping it "down wind" from other corals will sometimes help prevent it from producing large sweepers, during the day atleast. Hardy, Interesting coral if precautions are taken.

I have had one thats about 8" or so in my tank for a couple years. The sweepers do sting and I wouldn't put anything you cared about too close. I have never been 'stung' by any coral or anemone that I keep but I suppose an alergic reaction could happen. I placed this coral right in the middle of my xenia to kill it off. Didn't work though again, I wouldn't place it close to anything that couldn't take the stings. 8" is min the sweepers on mine can get as long as 12". Make sure you have the waterflowing around it to direct the sweepers where you want them to go.

Peace.

Back
Top Bottom