GBOY & NU NU 30 gal saltwater build!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
KAhner said:
I bought the same one they got. Its alright. But if you got the money I would maybe look into something a little nicer. As soon ad mines shot I'm gonna get one from bulkreefsupply.com. It's just nice to mount it, some have inlet and outlet tds meters, pressure gauges, and they have some that are specifically designed to eliminate chloramines. A lot of municipalities don't have it anyways (mine don't), but who knows one day they might and I wouldn't even know it. And if you have space don't get too hung up on the gpd. Just get a brute trash can and a float valve, and you'll always have plenty.

My problem is I live on an apartment so I don't have much storage space. I'd probably have to make the water as I need it with the 5 gallon bucket I have.

So of I can find room in my garage what's this setup your talking about? A brute trash can? And then what brand of RODI. In perfectly fine with saving up to get a nice one. And mounting it? I don't really have anywhere to mount it to. Is that something I can skip or do I have to find a place?

Sorry for all the questions. I just wanna make sure I do this right.

EDIT: I found this on bulkreefsupply. What do you think? It's only 75 GPD but it does have the chloramines remover?

needmorecowbell said:
What are you in? I thought you were 14? I'm in 10th grade bio but I'm in 9th grade. I decided to double up on my sciences this year and it's actually fun. They made me do both of them honors though which makes them pretty hard.

That is definitely a challenge! Good luck and best wishes. I remember being in high school it was rough cuz I had to work too!
I graduated in 08

needmorecowbell said:
What are you in? I thought you were 14? I'm in 10th grade bio but I'm in 9th grade. I decided to double up on my sciences this year and it's actually fun. They made me do both of them honors though which makes them pretty hard.

Ohh haha ya we did bio last year and chem this year, 10th grade. Both are pretty easy ;) haha i dont think we can take 2 science classes in one year, there should be a class where you only talk about aquariums... Lol

caitlynnanne9189 said:
That is definitely a challenge! Good luck and best wishes. I remember being in high school it was rough cuz I had to work too!
I graduated in 08

Thanks! I have a great bio teacher so it makes it a little easier.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ohh haha ya we did bio last year and chem this year, 10th grade. Both are pretty easy ;) haha i dont think we can take 2 science classes in one year, there should be a class where you only talk about aquariums... Lol

Lol that's kinda how my bio class is. I had an essay question about oh dropping at night and raise in the day. It dealt with photosynthesis and cellular respiration. I knew it because of my aquarium lol.

So you skipped a grade?

Lol nope, didnt skip a grade! We saw the coolestfrag at the lfs the other day... But we dont know what it is. We think it was some type of frogspawn but not sure. We want it..

Nice! I just fragged my 2 different zoas and put them on one frag. Can't wait till it grows out. I'll have a nice rock of assorted zoas.

caitlynnanne9189 said:
My problem is I live on an apartment so I don't have much storage space. I'd probably have to make the water as I need it with the 5 gallon bucket I have.

So of I can find room in my garage what's this setup your talking about? A brute trash can? And then what brand of RODI. In perfectly fine with saving up to get a nice one. And mounting it? I don't really have anywhere to mount it to. Is that something I can skip or do I have to find a place?

Sorry for all the questions. I just wanna make sure I do this right.

EDIT: I found this on bulkreefsupply. What do you think? It's only 75 GPD but it does have the chloramines remover?

Brute is a brand of trash can that is food grade, their a little thicker and nicer than most. I think it's made by rubbermade. You can drill a hole in the side and attach a float valve to it running to your rodi unit so it will automatically start and shut off for you. Some of the brs (bulkreefsupply) units come with a float valve. And no you wouldn't have to mount it, it's just a little nicer to. Idk. Being in an apartment you will just have to decide what you thinks going to be easier for you, running up and down stairs with 5gal buckets or making it inside 5gal at a time. Even then I would consider a float valve for a bucket. I don't have one and I've overflowed a couple times.

KAhner said:
Brute is a brand of trash can that is food grade, their a little thicker and nicer than most. I think it's made by rubbermade. You can drill a hole in the side and attach a float valve to it running to your rodi unit so it will automatically start and shut off for you. Some of the brs (bulkreefsupply) units come with a float valve. And no you wouldn't have to mount it, it's just a little nicer to. Idk. Being in an apartment you will just have to decide what you thinks going to be easier for you, running up and down stairs with 5gal buckets or making it inside 5gal at a time. Even then I would consider a float valve for a bucket. I don't have one and I've overflowed a couple times.

Well I am on the bottom floor so that's a plus but my concern is the only place I'd have for the brute is on my patio and is be worded about the Florida heat cooking the trash can and then the water being no good! Plus if I do mount it would if be mounted to the trash can? And if so how would I then attach it to the sink cuz that's my only water supply becides the shower, I'd need a long home and that night go over well with roommates. I'll definitely do a float valve I'll just have to figure out how to hook it up for buy a RODI with one.

I wouldn't think the heat wouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure though. The floats r easy to hook up. It just snaps into the rodi clean water line. There are other ways to supply water too. If you buy from brs they come with like 5 different fitting. I guess you don't have a hose on ur patio?

KAhner said:
I wouldn't think the heat wouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure though. The floats r easy to hook up. It just snaps into the rodi clean water line. There are other ways to supply water too. If you buy from brs they come with like 5 different fitting. I guess you don't have a hose on ur patio?

No there no water hook up out there :/ I may just be making 5 gallon buckets and hauling then from my barroom to my tank. Idk about the heat and the water. I've been warned about leaving water bottles out in the sun down here cux the plastic releases stuff into the water that makes it harmful so I'm not sure. Id be afraid it would hurt my fish!

needmorecowbell said:
Most people mount it to a wall. Its pretty easy to make water without it mounted though because of the long tubes.

I think I'm gonna have to do it not minted because if I mount it to a wall I'd have to have a long hose just to get water running to it through my living room which dosent sound like a good idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom