Got snails? I do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefbound

Aquarium Advice Freak
About 200+, How many snails are to many...I mean before they become detremental... They keep having more and more babies. How do you make them stop? Anyone want some baby snails?

Gatorfreak said:
What kind are they? Just curious.

looks like i have two different kind, Turbo/Astrea snails and Nassarius Snails...at this rate the tank will fill up by summertime... 8O

ReefRaff said:
How do you make them stop?

Get some Red legged hermits. :vamp: :uhoh: :uzi: :shocked!:

I do have them and their not interested.maybe they dont know there suppose to eat them?

edit; or maybe they had enough... :lol:

If anyone knows, I'd love to know why/how your snails are multiplying so rapidly... or even at all. Doesn't seem like many people here have that experience. I sure haven't.

Gatorfreak said:
If anyone knows, I'd love to know why/how your snails are multiplying so rapidly... or even at all. Doesn't seem like many people here have that experience. I sure haven't.

I wish I could answer that too... The new growth on my snails shells are unbelievable. I dont do anything special except water changes and keep fluctuations to a minimum, and feed Kent microvert food once a week. Hmm maybe thats it... Since November there is about a 1/2 inch of new shell on the snails...

My snails have grown noticably but I haven't noticed any reproduction. Maybe I'll try the kent microvert as an experiment.

somehow when the lights go off i find about 50-60 small white Astrea babies. If I look closely enough, i can see their little antennaes. Kind of cool to know that this is happening. However, i think that the little amount of cyano and hair algae that i have is resulted from putting in Coral Accel.

boardsurfer said:
Reefbound, I'm suprised your tank inhabitants don't eat the baby snails or snail eggs?!

Well to answer that, eighter Im feeding very well or the other inhabitants had there fill.

Hara said:
Send em my way! I always need more.

If they survive and get to a better size I will have to weed some out. I cant believe how many there are... It literally looks like the sand bed is moving.

aznbob said:
Donations are always welcomed here. :p

We will see what happens, meaning if they get larger...

Im afraid there wont be enough eats (algae on the sides and back) for them all, The algae that is left is disapearing very quickly.

Just watch closely for mass deaths. If they starve out the food supply you could end up seriously fouling your tank if not careful and with that many snails it’s hard to keep track of which ones haven’t moved for a couple of days. I would start to feed less and let nature take its course.

shipping snails shouldnt be much of an issue as long as they have their shells. A friend had some super small nass. snails shipped and 80% of them lived.

I would start getting rid of them soon, so you dont have a huge chain reaction from 5% of them dieing due to not enough food

btw ill take some too :p

Back
Top Bottom