How does the Remora work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maximo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have seen how the vortex type skimmers work but I was wondering how the AquaC Remora line works? What makes it this communities favorite skimmer? Is it quiet?

Thanks,

-Maximo

reefrunner69 said:
It produces more skimate than any other skimmer the same size.

Cool. Ok Thanks.

Can anyone tell me how it works? I can see how the the vortex skimmers inject air into the vortex to create mass quantities of bubbles but I'm not clear on how the Remora works. Is it quiet?

Thanks,

-Maximo

Well I found some info on the AquaC website. I'm still not real clear on how it works but i do know that it is called "Spray Induction".

If you fill a bucket with water and shoot a straight stream of water into it at high pressure with your garden hose, you're doing about what the Remora does. It uses a "spray injector" which is basically a reducer to spray water at relatively high pressure into the skimmer body. This produces a copius amount of bubbles. This is a very low maintenance setup. It does require occasional cleaning, but doesn't depend on a venturi or turbo pump.

So is it the forcefull injection of water causing cavitation or is there some kind of venturi? I hope its cavitation as it seems like that would make it quieter. Their website says they run quiet. I am impressed with the depth of information on the AquaC website. I plan on getting the Remora Pro soon. I made the "go cheap now end up spending more later" mistake on a cheapy vortex/venturi type a few weeks ago. It worked good for about a week but now I think it sucks. Maybe I can get the LFS to take it back. :roll:

Thanks,

-Maximo

The remora will definately outperform the vortex skimmer you have now! They are the best hangon you can buy.

I have the Remora Protien Skimmer and it's amazing the crud it pulls out of the water.

it's about as loud as an air pump. you can hear it but it's not that bad.

Back
Top Bottom