How much sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkremer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I keep getting differing opinions about what a good sandbed should be. I have read some articles that say you just want a thin layer (1"), and some people who have said you need about 3"!!! At $35 per 20-lb bags, the price difference in between 1" and 3" gets huge! I would like to make sure I do things right, but not spend more than I need to.

Paul

I bought mine at the lfs for around $24 a 20# bag. I liked the look of a deeper substrate and we went with very fine aggregate for the bottom feeders. Took 3 bags for my 44 gal tank, so not too bad.

Hmmm...that still doesn't help me in how much sand I need!!! hehe! I was thinking about 60 pounds...that would give me almost 2" of sand depth. What do you think? 3" gets pricy, as I do not have anyone willing to sell me sand for less than $1.75/pd.

Paul

How much sand is a matter of personal preference. I have tanks with both shallow and deep sandbeds as well as bare bottom tanks and it all works. Plenty of liverock/baserock will do the same thing for your tank as the sand.

Here is a calculator you can use to help figure out how much sand you'll need.

http://www.fantasyreef.com/flash/calculator.html

Fluff said:
How much sand is a matter of personal preference. I have tanks with both shallow and deep sandbeds as well as bare bottom tanks and it all works. Plenty of liverock/baserock will do the same thing for your tank as the sand.

Here is a calculator you can use to help figure out how much sand you'll need.

http://www.fantasyreef.com/flash/calculator.html
Cool calculators on that page!

For what's it's worth, I added just under 50 lbs in my 46 gal Bowfront and there is about a 2" depth... not exactly beucase the sands not 100% flat, but In the 2" range...

SW2

Like fluff says its choice.. what size tank?
I run around 1 lb per gallon in moth my tanks and it has worked well for me. IMO a deep SB 5"+ does not look good... Again thats JMO.
What are you looking to have the SB do? looks, denitrification, home for fish?

Back
Top Bottom