How to lower calcium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Azul17

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is there a way to lower my calcium?

Alk- 8.7dkH
Mag - 1800ppm
Cal - 590

I’ve been testing for a two weeks and my calcium and magnesium don’t go down. My alkalinity went from 10 to 8.7dkH. Should I raise my alkalinity to 10?

Is there a way to lower both calcium and magnesium?

My water changes are every two weeks 10% I use IO reef crystals.

Stock:
Zoas
Frogspawn (2 heads)
Torch (2 heads)
Duncan (1 head)
Montipora (small Frag)
Acan (1 head)
Alveopora (1 head)
Favia (1 head)
2 ricordeas.
1 mini maxi nem

Well, your mag level basically makes sure those levels can remain in equilibrium....in a very very basic look at it.
When levels are out of whack, check what the levels of your salt mix are first. If those levels aren't close to what it says on the bucket, water changes will bring things down to where they need to be.
Dosing to get levels just right usually leads to issues and crashes.

Well, your mag level basically makes sure those levels can remain in equilibrium....in a very very basic look at it.
When levels are out of whack, check what the levels of your salt mix are first. If those levels aren't close to what it says on the bucket, water changes will bring things down to where they need to be.
Dosing to get levels just right usually leads to issues and crashes.

Got it. I’ll be doing a water change tomorrow and I will test the new water. Thanks!

What type salt are you using? Some salts like Oceanic average between 500 and 600. Other salts like Instant ocean average about 390. You could switch to a lower calcium mix.

What type salt are you using? Some salts like Oceanic average between 500 and 600. Other salts like Instant ocean average about 390. You could switch to a lower calcium mix.

I have instant ocean reef crystals. My alkalinity is usually at 9-10dkH. Yesterday it was at 7.9 so I dose to raise it to 9 again.

My calcium and magnesium are always high and never go down.

Calcium is at 600ppm and magnesium at 1800ppm. I have never dose those two because they never go down.

I was thinking about switching to the regula instant ocean. What salt mix do you use?

I use whatever is on sale. I don't have enough of a draw off of those three elements to ever dose anything, so water changes solves it all. I don't worry about it. Something I picked up from Mr. X a long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom