Inconsistent advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edmonton Eskimo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm just wondering if anyone is concerned about some of the advice that is given on this site. I am not in any way saying that I am an expert or anything like that. I am continuosly researching and asking as many questions as I can. What I have learned is that nothing in saltwater is a definate or a constant. There are so many factors and circumstances that make this a great hobby but people on this site are stating "definites" like "you shouldn't keep angels" or "you have to wait a certain amount of time to add this" every tank is different and every aquarist is different. Just because one person couldn't succeed with a certain animal doesn't mean they should tell others they shouldn't do it. I am a begginer with saltwater and I have become nervous reading some of these posts and I think irresponsible posts could scare people away from this wonderful hobby. It is excellent to have a site like this to share our experiences. I realize that there are some pretty damn smart people on this site but even they don't know for sure all the time. I know for myself I will share an experience good or bad but I will not try to tell someone else that they should or shouldn't keep a species based on my experience. Don't get me wrong I enjoy this site a lot and I have learned things here but I wish people would think a little before they post.

Edmonton Eskimo said:
I think irresponsible posts could scare people away from this wonderful hobby.

IMO the moderators and other knowledgable aquarists make sure irresponsible posts are properly taken care of and will often times correct and/or give their input if they don't agree with someone. I don't think anybody on this site it out to intentionally create problems or give bad advice. As you've mentioned there are no clear cut and dry solutions or ways to go about this hobby. I love this site and over time you get to know who you can trust and who does not always have the answers you are looking for. I try to get a wide range of people giving inputs and take everyones opinion in the matter. After I've been given advice I think hard about it and try and research more on my own so I can't blame somebody else for give me bad advice and I would recommend that every does some research on their own and not just take something in as fact because another hobbist told them it had to be that way.

I agree. I did recieve a post telling me to not keep a certain fish because of his/her experiences and nobody corrected it. I'm not saying that anyone does it intentionally and I do research a lot of the posts made if I am unsure but some people might not you know what I mean?

Well, I have learned in the past year for many things there are multiple opinions and you will see them on this site.
There are also things that are tried and true and many of us have learned the hard way.
Most of the opinions like your angel example or mixing of certain livestock or waiting a period of time for corals, etc are based on experience and common knowledge gained through this experience. There are always a few exception where something works for one, but for most will not.
We are dealing with animals and like any other animal, every individual is different and there are exceptions to most rules. That is why most of us will encourage you to read through mulitple post, books and article and make you own educated decisions.
Its not the easiest hobby in the world, there are no clear cut answers to many aspect of this hobby. You just need to study, get you hands wet (so to speak), listen to different opinion and base you game plan on what you conclude to be the best info. Do your homework on your animals, and qt everything (that most of us will agree on) and you will have sucess in this hobby.
And don't be afraid to challange people on their advise. Healthy debate benefits us all.
Thanks for the post, its a good one!! :wink:

Also look at it like this and take the aquarium aspect out of it for a second...most car garages recommend and tell you its important to change your oil every 3000 miles in order to keep a car running a long time. However I know people that have it changed every 5k, some 6k, etc...and their cars run just like the next persons...is it best to have the oil chnaged at 3k vs 5k?? Probably...dont know...depends on the type of driving you do, the elements (hot or cold) that the car is being driven in, etc. I dont think there is a right or wrong answer but you have to find what works for you. I have been told to QT fish, and not to QT fish....by this board, LFS, friends, on and on. I usually post a question on the board, and hopefully get 5-8 different responses. I also call 2-3 LFS if I can as well and compare what I get back as a response....then its up to you to see what makes sense to you. Bad analogy, but you get the point...

Most of the time, the advice not to keep a certain animal is based on that animals history as a captive animal. For instance, most folks...including me...will tell you not to add a anemone to a new tank. Wait a year instead until the tank is mature. That doesn't mean that you can't keep one...it just means they are delicate and that, in our experience, they often die in a new tank. As you mentioned, there are no absolutes in this hobby. But, there is also no substitute for experience. I would encourage you to research any creature you wish to keep thoroughly taking into account other peoples experiences. As a general rule though, if you're unsure about it, don't do it until you are sure. The worst mistake you can make in reef keeping is to get in a hurry. JMHO.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom